Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Vintage Trans Am trunk lid fuel filler?

I have a vintage Enots Le Mans style filler cap (2 3/4" diameter) that I wish to integrate into my trunk lid like many of the old Trans Am race cars had. I know many had a dual setup but I'll just be doing a single.

I'll be going with a Rick's Tank with a GM ZL1 fuel module and vaporworx pwm controller. My current plan is to run a 2 3/4" filler neck through my trunk floor and into the fuel tank. I'm hoping when I order my tank from Rick's, they can accommodate and instead of doing the filler behind the license plate, create a custom 2 3/4" filler neck out the top. The trick is going to be having it avoid the fuel module and still be where I need it to meet with the underside of the trunk lid.

My question; does anyone know where I can buy the fixture that attaches to the filler neck and seals with the bottom of the trunk lid for a Le Mans cap? I've seen many that are simply a metal cone with the filler neck coming up through it, having a small hole at the bottom going to an overflow drain hose and then having a rubber seal around the top that seals with the inside of the trunk lid. Then I can just cut my trunk lid in the shape of the Enots cap. Very simply and functional, and still allowed me to open my trunk easily around the filler cap.

I know Holman Moody made these back in the day, as I'm sure others did too. Prior to simply fabricating something up myself, I would like to find one of these to buy used. Anyone know where I can source one of these? It would be cool to have an original 50yr old unit.

Thanks!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Do you have any photos of what you're looking for? I have not come across any close up photos of this kind of setup.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

I've attached one.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

That's a cool setup! Looks like something you may have to fab up yourself, but I'll ask a friend who might know.

Awesome, thanks!

Personally I plan on making the hole in the trunk line a very close outline of the shape of the fuel cap and I'm going to have the middle of the fuel cap even with the metal around it.

It seems easy enough to fab myself then take it to a local shop to be tig'd up, but would be REALLY cool to find an original one to adapt to my car. I'm just not in the "historic Trans Am" owners circle to know who to ask.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

I contacted a friend that works for a NASCAR team and also does some side building and racing, but unfortunately not vintage Trans Am. He knew of some sources for the caps but thinks you will probably have to fab the cone and filler. He also made a good point that I'll copy here:

"FWIW, a tall metal filler neck like that is pretty dangerous. Backing a car into the fence tends to tear the neck off the tank and spill fuel everywhere. The cars at work use a flexible hose to connect the dry break to the tank and there's a check valve where it connects to the tank"

Perhaps you could use a flexible coupling at the bottom and consider some kind of check/flalper valve. EDIT: my friend says they use a large ball check valve in the top plate of the fuel cell where the flexible filler connects

Ok, thanks.

I planned on check valve where the neck meets the tanks but yeah, I have no choice but to use a solid filler neck to support everything.

Thanks for the info.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Perhaps you could use a short flexible coupling at the tank and fab a simple bracket back to the trunk latch support to hold the tubing and filler. That would give it a break-away point at the flexible coupling. Just an idea.

I think up top you may not need a seal at all if you have a cone relatively large compared to the opening in the trunk and/or if the sheet metal of the trunk is rounded down into the cone to form an overlapping "seal". I assume that cone is just for fuel spillage and rain water to drain away?

Yeah it's just for drainage.

Perhaps a short piece of fuel hose above the check valve and at the bottom of the fill neck would be enough to both still support the weight and provide a break-away point of failure.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Do you have a build thread anywhere by chance? Would love to check out your car. Eventually I want to get up to Bakersfield and check out Buttonwillow. My brother lives on the south end of Bakersfield.

I don't have a build thread. The link in my signature goes to about the only place I keep detailed track of my car. It also links to my YouTube channel but I don't update that regularly at all.

I also live in the very south of town, on the west side. I actually hit the I-5 to head south instead of going all the way to the 99. For sure reach out when you head up here next!
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

I got some PNs as examples of what my friend's team uses in NASCAR. ATL TF570 paddle is used at the tank for the filler. They use something like TF682 or TF683 for the vent.

You might want to check out the ATL parts catalogue; they may have some useful parts for what you're trying to do.
      http://atlinc.com/fill-necks-fill-caps-vent-valves.html

For sure I'll ping you when I'm in your area. My brother is closer to 99 but everything in Bakersfield is a 30 min drive away.

Awesome. I'll check it out.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com