Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Battery Cable Length

Ok. I am no mechanic. I have 69 Firebird with a Chevy 350 motor, but bored out to 408 Stroker. It dyno tested top around 518 HP and 521 Torque. It does use pump gas. So I suppose not to extreme on compression. Still in process of car being put together. EVERYTHING in engine compartment is stainless steel braided. I like old school muscle car look. I can purchase Taylor Cable battery cables that are Stainless steel braided. Look nice. Their thickest gauge is 4 gauge. My longest cable ( to starter) would be 48 inches long max. I do have a MSD mini starter that has the gear reduction for easier starting. Anybody see any problems with this cable? If they had 2 gauge I would get it but they dont. Thanks. Jerry

It'll be fine.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Here is a handy voltage drop calculator. Check how much voltage drop you will have with the different cable sizes. The more voltage you lose the less power your starter will have. Simple!
      https://www.bestboatwire.com/voltage-drop-calculator

P = I x V P in Watts, I in Amps, V in volts

example: if your starter pulls 200 Amps. for every 0.5 V drop you lose about 100 Watts
      P = 200A x 0.5V P=100W

Remember the longer the cable the more the losses too. So if you decide to trunk mount in the future you need to take that into account.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

The short runs should be fine.

If you ever want to run larger wire like a 1/0 and cover it with the stainless steel braid you could do like I did back in the 90's and find the right ID heater hose in the stainless braid and then slide the larger cable inside if it. To finish off the ends modify some AN fittings.

It might be harder to find but years ago they also sold just the stainless braid sleeving and it worked like the Chinese handcuffs and could be shrunk down in diameter once the wire or hoses were inside of it.

Just found this and it looks like they still make it in a 10' or longer length:

https://www.amazon.com/Electridct-St...49159484&psc=1

Jim

Thank you all for replies.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com