Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

High Temperature

I have a 69 Camaro with a 350/700R4. Lately it’s been running warmer then I remember. I changed the thermostat to a 180 degree and it helped but still running warm, 199-210 degrees. I installed an aluminum radiator 10 years ago, converted to electric fans (pusher and a puller), and have 2 different temperature gauges. I know I changed the water pump a few years back as the Wieand aluminum water pump started leaking so I went with the old cast iron water pump. Fans are coming on as designed. Any suggestions?

Country Flag: United States
      Unusual to see a pusher and puller. Usually just pullers with a good shroud. How many rows does your radiator have? Post up some pics of your setup.

Does the temperature creep up while idling or while moving down the road?

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Pretty sure it’s a 3 row, the pusher/puller fan idea was mine but the puller is shrouded, had an extra fan so why not. Outside temperature was in the mid nineties when I started out and engine temperature was 192, as I drove through the neighborhoods it climbed to 209, it did cool down to 193 but climbed back up to 208 by the time I got home.

I’ll try and get some pictures posted, not very good at that.

Some folks feel the added pusher can obstruct air flow when moving down the road.

Make sure you got all the air out when you changed the thermostat.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I started the car and let the temperature rise to 180 or more and then installed the cap. I was thinking about the pusher fan obstruction.

Pictures

Hopefully these pictures uploaded. As you can see one of the fans is mounted to one side as not to interfere with the air flow. I changed my thermostat to a 180 degree which helped a little. I used to have a Wieand Aluminum High Flo water pump and changed it out to the old stock cast iron pump only because the Wieand pump started leaking.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Did the overheating start before you changed water pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Did the overheating start before you changed water pumps?
      No just recently. Never had any problems before.

Quote Originally Posted by elwaupo View Post
      No just recently. Never had any problems before.
      Have you considered it might be the water pump then? You went from a heavy duty pump back to an OE pump.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Have you considered it might be the water pump then? You went from a heavy duty pump back to an OE pump.
      Yeah that was my thought, I’m going back to a high volume water pump and we’ll see what happens

I don't know where you are with this, but I'd suggest trying a new rad cap before going all expensive parts. Knew a guy with a Mustang that as I recall had the same problem (been 35 years now so I may not remember right) and he replaced his entire cooling system with no change. Replaced the cap, problem solved. Because of this, I've always started my cooling system troubleshooting with a new cap if I don't already know what the problem is. And if it doesn't solve the problem you can still replace other stuff and just put the cap on a shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      I don't know where you are with this, but I'd suggest trying a new rad cap before going all expensive parts. Knew a guy with a Mustang that as I recall had the same problem (been 35 years now so I may not remember right) and he replaced his entire cooling system with no change. Replaced the cap, problem solved. Because of this, I've always started my cooling system troubleshooting with a new cap if I don't already know what the problem is. And if it doesn't solve the problem you can still replace other stuff and just put the cap on a shelf.
      Thanks for the advice, I did think of that and replace the radiator cap, installed a new 160 degree thermostat, replaced the water pump and replace the electric fan with a 2500 cfm fan, no change. Do you think it could be the aluminum radiator? That’s the only thing left, I do have a 4 row stock radiator I can swap it with?

Measuring inlet and outlet temps at the radiator will give you a good idea if the radiator is doing its job. I think 25-30 degreess is the right number. If you are seeing that and it still gets hot, you have an airflow problem...I just went thru this on my BB. I needed to upgrade the fans on a brand new griffen setup.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com