Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Importing a car to Australia

Hi Guys, looking for some guidance and experiences from others on possibly importing my 1973 PT Pontiac Grand Am into Western Australia, where I would also be moving. I'm located in British Columbia, Canada and the intent would be to land the car in Perth. I've been reading through the government sites and there is a lot to take in. Are there any Aussie members here with experience in doing this or know someone who can offer some guidance? Thanks so much.

Country Flag: United States
      you'd be best off using an agent, they're pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things and will probably pay for themselves. one that comes to mind is 'iron block imports' better known In Australia as iron chef imports.
      I'd love for this thread to grow, I'm an Aussie in North Carolina and I'd love to export a car back to Australia someday.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      you'd be best off using an agent, they're pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things and will probably pay for themselves. one that comes to mind is 'iron block imports' better known In Australia as iron chef imports.
      I'd love for this thread to grow, I'm an Aussie in North Carolina and I'd love to export a car back to Australia someday.
      Hi James, thanks for commenting. I'll definitely follow up with Iron Block Imports and see what services they offer. I think you're absolutely correct that using an agent would save a lot of grief.

Something that might help you is that in my research so far I came across an old thread from about 2013 on the HAMB from someone in eastern Canada who sold a car to a buyer in Oz, and he was attempting to help in the shipping. The conversation went down a bit of a rabbit hole and ended up having no info in regard to shipping from Canada, but there was info there about shipping from the USA to Oz. A shipper mentioned favourably a couple of times was Kiwi Shipping in Gardena, California so check them out. The other names were, Classic USA Imports, Main Freight, and Cheetah Exports LLC. No idea if those last 3 are still around or how good they are, but maybe they're a starting point.

Anyway, I hope others will continue to add input here on this because it would be helpful to a lot of car guys who move around. Selfishly I'd still like to hear from someone who has shipped their car from Canada to Oz. Thanks again James. Gavin.

I'm kind is surprised this thread hasn't gained any grip, aside from James' kind reply. I thought there were Aussies on the forum who might have some/any input but maybe I misunderstood. Anyway, I'll post up any info I find as I go through this that might help others in the future.

Country Flag: United States
      Australia is difficult enough with importing original classic cars, especially with their new asbestos laws! PT cars make it harder again. I friend of mine imported a pro touring mustang and had to bring all the performance parts over in separate container and reassemble the car again once it arrived..
      For this reason, perhaps not a lot of people bring in too many modified classics. ??just a theory??

I was a regional sales manager for a manufacturing company in the US and shipped machine systems world wide. What we learned about shipping thru agents the hard way was that it was important that the agent company in the US was the same as the receiving country. No hand offs to different companies. One shipping contract for the complete transaction. It cost a bit more money but well worth it hassle wise. Port to port. I can't speak to emissions and such.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      I was a regional sales manager for a manufacturing company in the US and shipped machine systems world wide. What we learned about shipping thru agents the hard way was that it was important that the agent company in the US was the same as the receiving country. No hand offs to different companies. One shipping contract for the complete transaction. It cost a bit more money but well worth it hassle wise. Port to port. I can't speak to emissions and such.
      Excellent advice, and thanks for reminding me of that. I used to work with international shippers and brokers years ago, and invariably the more people/companies involved, the greater the likelihood of complications, miscommunication, lost or misdirected freight, and always, always, additional charges. Good tip, and thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      I was a regional sales manager for a manufacturing company in the US and shipped machine systems world wide. What we learned about shipping thru agents the hard way was that it was important that the agent company in the US was the same as the receiving country. No hand offs to different companies. transfers Amiens
      One shipping contract for the complete transaction. It cost a bit more money but well worth it hassle wise. Port to port. I can't speak to emissions and such.
      You are right, I have already experienced this kind of work, and it is a very good idea

Country Flag: Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by 73GA View Post
      Hi Guys, looking for some guidance and experiences from others on possibly importing my 1973 PT Pontiac Grand Am into Western Australia, where I would also be moving. I'm located in British Columbia, Canada and the intent would be to land the car in Perth. I've been reading through the government sites and there is a lot to take in. Are there any Aussie members here with experience in doing this or know someone who can offer some guidance? Thanks so much.
      Essentially the australian government seems to hate anything modified. And then you need to get it registered in WA.

Heres what the WA transport department says...
      https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/lice...m-overseas.asp

Heres what the federal government says....
      https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/

An importer will make your life easier as there is a shedload of paperwork and taxes (of course, no government ever misses the chance to bleed you dry when the need arises). I have no experiance with importers as both american cars ive brought here so i cant recommend who to talk to. Heres one of many - you can always get a quote.

Cheers,
      Jacko.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
      Essentially the australian government seems to hate anything modified. And then you need to get it registered in WA.

Heres what the WA transport department says...
      https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/lice...m-overseas.asp

Heres what the federal government says....
      https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/

An importer will make your life easier as there is a shedload of paperwork and taxes (of course, no government ever misses the chance to bleed you dry when the need arises). I have no experiance with importers as both american cars ive brought here so i cant recommend who to talk to. Heres one of many - you can always get a quote.

Cheers,
      Jacko.
      Thanks for the links and info, Jacko. Most, if not all of what I've read is vague, raises more questions than it answers, and doesn't offer any step by step process on how to proceed. On my trips there I've seen a lot of American cars, and many of them highly modified, so I don't know whether those were imported decades ago and then modified there, or were imported that way recently. I'll continue to read up and would look forward to more comments. Your last sentence suggests a link (?) but I don't see one. Or did I misunderstand? Thanks Jacko.

Don't if this helps but I spoke to the shipping manager at the company I used to work for. They use a company named Superior Freight Services. The company is based in Eagan MN. Don't know if they deal with cars but they might be able to recommend someone who does.

Country Flag: Australia
      Pretty much, the Federal government approval requires the car to be stock or modified with period age parts. For example, they will not give approval to import an LS engine swapped classic car etc. It doesn't matter whether the state will register the car or not, the Feds won't give import approval. You'll also need a certification that it's been inspected for no asbestos parts......an importing agent will know how to get that done. Not sure about Canada, but you won't get a car out of the US without a valid Title......Australia doesn't require it (or at least didn't the last time I did this), but the US customs would not allow the car to be loaded without a valid Title in hand. You also need to have Aust government import approval BEFORE the vehicle is loaded in the departing port.....if it hits Australia without the approval having been finalised, its usually cheaper to export it again....not something you want to do.
      If the car is an LS swapped pro-touring ride, better to import in as a rolling body, and ship the drive train separately. For WA, check if it can be registered there.....WA, along with SA, are a pain the ass for modified registration from what I've heard.
      Good luck.......best off searching for a WA based classic car or hot rod importer to handle this for you.......the guys I know are on the east coast.

Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com