Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LSA vs Mast Motorsports vs Pace Performance

Started a build thread on the New Project Section. 1970 Chevelle G-Machine

Now for the Engine Questions...

I am set on new LS

Did some research and it came down to two...Pace Performance LS3 or Mast Motorsports 600 R&T. They look like Great Engines and great customer service from both, Mast a little more on the racing and high performance side (also a little more expensive), and Pace more on the Touring side. The only thing that had me from pulling the trigger on the Pace is that they use Nodular Crank...not comfortable with 570 hp on Cast. Called them to see if they would put in a forged one. Waiting on the reply.

Then suddenly yesterday a friend calls me and tells me that he has a brand new Crate LSA with Harness and Computer for Ten Grand!!!
      (The other two start at thirteen).

Any input would be really appreciated...especially on the Tune issues with the LSA (key delete, cat delete, headers, can, and all those headaches.)

Thanks!

Country Flag: United States
      Do not let the nodular crank scare you. You should read the Hot Rod Magazine article where they took a junk yard 5.3 to 900hp.. Its fine, guys have been doing it for years. The factory LS3 crate is a stout motor. I have a friend running the 525hp in an Impala and he loves it. He also has the 572 GMPP in a chevelle, but prefers the LS3's street manners.

Mast Motorsports makes a great product from what I have seen and heard from the cpl of people I know with Black Label motors. They are definitely not cheap, but high on the list of aftermarket motors I'd love have.

I have done an LSA conversion on an LS2 so I'll offer my insight here...Factory LSA is no different than any other LS swap when it comes to the basics. You'd still want clean up the harness or by new for LSA(Speartech, Current Performance, PSI, etc). Once the VATS and Emissions stuff is removed, it should run no problem. You would need an adequate fuel system for either motor, either something like vaporworks or an in tank pump with external FPR with boost reference. You will also need a heat exchanger and pump. Lots for guys doing LSA conversions are running Holley Terminator X now. The pricepoint is right and you wouldn't need HP Tuners or credits. The Holley could actually be used to manage any motor you choose. I have a guy the is a dealer/tuner and offers base tune with his purchase. He's actually very well know in the LSA world and his post sale support is the best I've ever seen.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

https://www.texas-speed.com
      I am not sure if you looked at Texas Speed and Performance in your research. I have one of their 418 engines and it is working great for me.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Depends on your goals. Here is my sbe ls3 with a magnuson heartbeat. Makes 744rwhp

https://youtu.be/XFx47Dzul5Y

For that price, I'd go with the LSA.

Cool vid Iceman, what exhaust you running?

2.5” dynatech muscle max

Thanks for the input guys!
      I did go for the LSA...$8.5 Cash did it (without harness or computer, I figured I would buy them specific for my goals anyhow).

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      Do not let the nodular crank scare you. You should read the Hot Rod Magazine article where they took a junk yard 5.3 to 900hp.. Its fine, guys have been doing it for years. The factory LS3 crate is a stout motor. I have a friend running the 525hp in an Impala and he loves it. He also has the 572 GMPP in a chevelle, but prefers the LS3's street manners.

Mast Motorsports makes a great product from what I have seen and heard from the cpl of people I know with Black Label motors. They are definitely not cheap, but high on the list of aftermarket motors I'd love have.

I have done an LSA conversion on an LS2 so I'll offer my insight here...Factory LSA is no different than any other LS swap when it comes to the basics. You'd still want clean up the harness or by new for LSA(Speartech, Current Performance, PSI, etc). Once the VATS and Emissions stuff is removed, it should run no problem. You would need an adequate fuel system for either motor, either something like vaporworks or an in tank pump with external FPR with boost reference. You will also need a heat exchanger and pump. Lots for guys doing LSA conversions are running Holley Terminator X now. The pricepoint is right and you wouldn't need HP Tuners or credits. The Holley could actually be used to manage any motor you choose. I have a guy the is a dealer/tuner and offers base tune with his purchase. He's actually very well know in the LSA world and his post sale support is the best I've ever seen.

Wow! Thanks for the in-depth reply brother!

I did pull the trigger with the LSA!!!

The Holley Terminator X idea sounds interesting!

I did some research and I think I need a good shop in Texas with a Dyno and in house Tuner...planning on a Tune for Pulley Swap, Cams, CAI, Headers, etc)

Ps- Can you please PM me the info of your Tune guy also

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      Depends on your goals. Here is my sbe ls3 with a magnuson heartbeat. Makes 744rwhp

https://youtu.be/XFx47Dzul5Y

Nice...what size tires are those?

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      https://www.texas-speed.com
      I am not sure if you looked at Texas Speed and Performance in your research. I have one of their 418 engines and it is working great for me.
      I did not see any engines on their site...I believe their site is a little difficult to navigate (at least for this Gen X'er).

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Horse View Post

I did some research and I think I need a good shop in Texas with a Dyno and in house Tuner...planning on a Tune for Pulley Swap, Cams, CAI, Headers, etc)

Will do...
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

where at in Texas? I’m in Allen. I can recommend a few places

Actually anywhere in TX.
      I am closer to San Antonio

I did not see any engines on their site...I believe their site is a little difficult to navigate (at least for this Gen X'er).
      https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3188-a...d-engines.aspx

Do give them a call. If they are close to you it might even be worth seeing if you could tour their facility.

Cheers, Steve
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3188-a...d-engines.aspx

Do give them a call. If they are close to you it might even be worth seeing if you could tour their facility.

Cheers, Steve
      Thanks!
      Already purchased the LSA but I did call them (need accessory drive, Controller, etc.) They are like 4/5 hours from where I live and in Texas that is kinda close...hehe

Great choice on the LSA, but I might be a little biased. I'm sticking with HPT because it's already tuned with it and I have it. If I didn't, I would definitely run the Holley deal. The nice thing about these is that there is a good amount of parts and support for them. Oh, and yu can make great power without even really trying... btw- the 'bird look familiar?
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by shelteredchevelle View Post
      Great choice on the LSA, but I might be a little biased. I'm sticking with HPT because it's already tuned with it and I have it. If I didn't, I would definitely run the Holley deal. The nice thing about these is that there is a good amount of parts and support for them. Oh, and yu can make great power without even really trying... btw- the 'bird look familiar?
      Just a "little" biased...hehe
      Love the polished look!
      Is that the Magnum XL?
      I believe the benefit of the XL is that it leaves the shifter a lot closer to the driver in the A bodies correct?
      And no, the bird does not look familiar...it should???

Quick update...Talked to Craig at Bowler...they recommend the Magnum (non XL), they said the XL is designed for Fords and that in the Chevelle it would probably leave the shifter too back.

Magnum version gives you plenty of shifter location options. Go with that

fuel injection specialties in San-Antino is a good tuner.
      2,500th member!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com