Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Rear End Help - Advice needed

All,

Been working to complete my 1987 Monte Carlo SS build, LS, TKO600 but I have been tossing around rear end ideas. Already have my wheels and would want to keep the stock flange to flange, using ride tech coils and UMI upper/lowers.

Any advice on which rear that will be bolt in and ready to rock?

Thanks,

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by pro86tourn View Post
      All,

Been working to complete my 1987 Monte Carlo SS build, LS, TKO600 but I have been tossing around rear end ideas. Already have my wheels and would want to keep the stock flange to flange, using ride tech coils and UMI upper/lowers.

Any advice on which rear that will be bolt in and ready to rock?

Thanks,
      Numerous companies make 9" housings in the stock width. Strange...Moser...QuickTime...many...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

You can use a 8.5 10 bolt that came stock in those cars.If you have a 7.5 rear end now.Then there are the aftermarket 12 bolts .as well if you want to keep it all GM

Country Flag: United States
      Whatever rear you go with I highly recommend going with a full floating hub rear. Many companies offer 9" floaters but you can also now buy a full floater conversion kit for the GM 10/12 bolt rear ends.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Country Flag: Canada
      Id like to stay away from a 9'' just so big and not needed for my application. 12'' would be great but the moser unit is very pricey.

Floater 12'' would be awesome.

I know there are many options just hoping to hear what option is the best bang for buck

the car has a 7.5 post with new axels and post unit but.. no strength weakest link on the car. makes me nervous

Probably an 8.5 10 bolt They came in a variety of "G" bodies and can be upgraded as well. I have my original housing in my 1979 Z-28 .I have upgraded with 30 spline Mosier axles .Moroso "Brute Strength" posi .And Chevrolet 3:42 gears .I have it behind a Supercharged 377 small block chevy. With no issues .You can run it stock and or upgraded as time and money permit .I also have a 1981 El Camino SS with a 290 HP 350 Turbo 350 .Headers and such. It has the 7 1/4 for now but down the road .I want to upgrade to the 8.5 10 since I have had good luck with mine.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com