Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wilwood brake system dragging

wilwood brake system Dragging.
      Driving my car for the 1st time with a new brake system from wilwood , 6piston front ,4piston rear , 1” master cylinder and 8” dual brake booster. Started the car let it warmup peddle goes down 1/4 to 1/2 way down at the start . Then driving the car for about 15mins,it get back home and can feel the brakes dragging enough to stop the car at a slow speed . Talked to a tech at wilwood and he said check that the calipers are centered on the rotors . I did find the rear rotors were not sitting flush on the axle fixed that and double check the caliper was centered drove it again with the same results. Any help would be appreciated.

Country Flag: United States
      Sounds like you don't have enough clearance between the rod between the MC and the booster.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

There's a lot of helpful info in these threads on similar topics in case you haven't seen them already:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...e-lockup-issue

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...pedal-sticking
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Sounds like you don't have enough clearance between the rod between the MC and the booster.

Andrew
      Hey! That's my line!! ;)
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Hey! That's my line!! ;)
      I knew I got it from somewhere :-P
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Here is some copy-past from my build explaining master/booster pushrod clearance. This is usually the cause of brakes not releasing properly:

I decided to get the proper tool for checking master/booster pushrod clearance. A long while back when I put this master and booster together for the first time, I noticed through the compensating port that the piston was moving as I tightened the master to the booster. To identify how much interference there was, I added shims between the the master and booster until I no longer observed movement when tightening them together. Then I took the shim thickness and ground off approximately that thickness from the pushrod. It was a considerable amount of interference - I want to say around .100in - and I wanted to make sure I had at least 0.020in clearance, so I had to take quite a bit off the pushrod. I was really curious to see if I'd taken off too little or too much. So I got the tool on Amazon (search "Power Brake Booster Pin Adjustment Tool").

Using feeler gauges I found I have about 0.040in clearance, which should be good. I've read anywhere from 0.20min to around 1/16th (0.063in) is ideal.

- - - Updated - - -

I also found I hade problems with my booster bellows getting hung up in the hole in the firewall. I'm not sure if that is also affecting you.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Thanks for the advice, Tobin at core3 said the same thing you guys are saying. Now trying to get the push rod adjustment correct. Will post back my outcome. Thanks again to all !

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com