Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Cooler Hose?

Cooler Hose?

I use a standard trans radiator and an external cooler. I want to cooler hoses between the fender and the inner fender so they are a little hidden. I've been using ptfe lines at the moment but they are stainless braided and I want to go to rubber so they don't rub on the metal. I've heard you should never use rubber hose for the transmission but people have run rubber lines to their cooler for years but maybe just short lengths. I just called Derale who said it was fine but the tech guy seemed less than interested so I would like your opinion. Is it safe to run rubber cooler lines or ptfe line that length? TIA
      Scott

I belives it would be better to run it along the frame rail with hard line and braided line where it needs some blex.Using Adel clamps to hold it down.

I've only used standard SS -6 lines for trans coolers. You can buy black -6 lines and black fittings and if run along the frame rail they would almost disappear. As said above use adel clamps to hold in place. I like to run the cooler lines up to the radiator support and then use a bulk fittings for the two lines and short runs to the cooler. I run a big "stacked" plate cooler.

I have been going through the rad support but I ran ptfe braided lines under the rad hose on the inner fender well. I should use hard line but I still wonder what happens if you use something like the Russell twist lock hose.

The only place I've used ptfe is on the pressure side of the power steering. I haven't used the push lock stuff but I've have great luck with typical -6 lines. Never had a failure. Used a few different brands both hoses and fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      The only place I've used ptfe is on the pressure side of the power steering. I haven't used the push lock stuff but I've have great luck with typical -6 lines. Never had a failure. Used a few different brands both hoses and fittings.
      Thanks. I'm looking at another rebuild so it seems like time for new lines.

Country Flag: United States
      There isn’t a lot of pressure on the trans cooler hoses. You can definitely use the push-lock style hose and fittings.
      We usually use standard black braided AN hose and ends on trans coolers. Sometimes hard lines part way.
      Just make sure the hoses don’t rub on anything. Always put some type of rubber or protective sleeve over top if going over edges.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Thanks Dale. That’s what I was looking for.

If it's any further peace of mind. We've been using rubber lines here for years without any issues. We use ones that have a rubber core with stainless braiding with a black nylon sheathing on them for looks and extra protection along with Phenix fittings. We've also used the PTFE lined stainless lines as well and they work great too. Just depends on what the customer likes and what best fits the installation.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      If it's any further peace of mind. We've been using rubber lines here for years without any issues. We use ones that have a rubber core with stainless braiding with a black nylon sheathing on them for looks and extra protection along with Phenix fittings. We've also used the PTFE lined stainless lines as well and they work great too. Just depends on what the customer likes and what best fits the installation.
      Thanks. That’s what I’ll be doing.

I used Summit push lock hose for my TH400 cooler lines. I ran them along the top and outside of the frame, carefully routing where the suspension wouldn't interfere.

Name:  ly6swap873.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  ly6swap871.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  143.9 KB

This has been fine the last 5 years.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Thanks Bandit. That’s the hose type I was thinking of.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com