Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by loudandproud View Post
      Just ordered my Domiworks kit today. I will be following your progress closely! Good stuff man.
      Just got mine delivered. Took a long time in transit, much of it on the US side.

It looks great. Shame to bury it where no one can see it.

Will do a test fit shortly

Name:  img_3740_ac5f217914345b395ae09fcb44ee3eaed2248e08.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  127.0 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Wow that does look nice!

Here are some pics of initial test fit.
      My first impression is great. Damn nice machine work.

Name:  img_3743_f5944940a7a76e9fe95fcfcd216bf4696fe5c5b4.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  76.8 KB

Some of the bolts supplied protruded into the space where the flex plate needs to be, so I cut some bolts down to end up flush with the inside of the adapter ring.

Here's my spare 5.3 with the flex plate and the spline adapter and GM performance ls3 flex plate.

Name:  img_3747_4e2ea491c1330786cf7b4a828f4864f4282167dc.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  148.0 KB

The spline adapter centers on the driveshaft nicely.

I'm going to grind the DCT case in the places I've marked with red marker to make it easier to bolt the adapter to the LS block. I think I could get by without grinding these by putting the mounting bolts in ahead of mounting the adapter ring to the transmission, but the grinding is minimal, should not weaken anything and will make it much easier to mount the adapter ring to the engine.

Name:  img_3745_8adb60433bbf855a6292a15efc9c807a16058313.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  img_3746_c8ecdab263846b9270eca9ee22fed0ffdebc2a79.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  112.7 KB

Those parts look amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

How does the starter fit?
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post

How does the starter fit?
      Haven't gotten there yet, Maybe tomorrow I'll borrow a starter from my buddy for a test fit. I don't feel like taking the Vette apart until I'm comfortable I've got all bases covered with the DCT.

Quote Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post
      Haven't gotten there yet, Maybe tomorrow I'll borrow a starter from my buddy for a test fit. I don't feel like taking the Vette apart until I'm comfortable I've got all bases covered with the DCT.
      Smart ..
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)

I’ve been watching your thread intently, it’s exciting to see new attempts and improved tech in pro touring cars.

I have a question about the adapter for the trans/engine. Should it be bolted to the engine first and then install the trans? Would that eliminate the grinding of the trans case? I wasn’t sure if you had to bolt the adapter to the trans first for something else to work right, just curious and considering this same mod for my car.

Quote Originally Posted by grease View Post
      I’ve been watching your thread intently, it’s exciting to see new attempts and improved tech in pro touring cars.

I have a question about the adapter for the trans/engine. Should it be bolted to the engine first and then install the trans? Would that eliminate the grinding of the trans case? I wasn’t sure if you had to bolt the adapter to the trans first for something else to work right, just curious and considering this same mod for my car.
      Yes, you're probably right, it's not a requirement. But if you need to get to the flex plate or engine, then you would need to remove both sets of screws. No a biggie.

I'm going to grind them anyway to give me the flexibility of removing either one. The grinding is very minimal.

I did some more measurements regarding the depth of the spline engagement. I'm told the stock BMW engagement is 16mm. I measured the maximum possible engagement of the splines at 24.5mm. The engagement I'm measuring with the stock thickness flex plate is 18mm. That's more then the BMW stock engagement, but I'd be happier with about 21.

I think I'll be ok with the 18mm, but if I can find a thicker flexplate that gets me between 20 and 21mm, then I'd swap that in.

There are two LS crank lengths, long crank (1999 and 2000) and short crank. Mine are the more common short crank that uses the dished flex plate. For those with the long crank, I'm guessing that might require machining down the spline adapter.

FYI to everyone in the thread, not to clutter up OP's stuff, but I think this thread will eventually turn into "The DCT swap thread"
      Domiworks reached out to me about by project. I am running an LTx block, not an LS. For those not familiar, the LS and LTx blocks have a different bolt pattern on the top two bellhousing bolts. I was just going to leave them blank, but Domi asked if we could work together to modify the adapter.

The plan is to add the additional holes for the LTx to the LS adapter in order to make it a universal component. Ill keep you all posted on the progress.

FYI to everyone in the thread, not to clutter up OP's stuff, but I think this thread will eventually turn into "The DCT swap thread"
      Domiworks reached out to me about by project. I am running an LTx block, not an LS. For those not familiar, the LS and LTx blocks have a different bolt pattern on the top two bellhousing bolts. I was just going to leave them blank, but Domi asked if we could work together to modify the adapter.

The plan is to add the additional wholes for the LTx to the LS adapter in order to make it a universal component. Ill keep you all posted on the progress.
      Thanks for the update. I think it would be very easy for Domiworks to alter the adapter to accommodate the LT bolt pattern.

Should I change the title of this thread?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Here is a pic of the 5.3 and DCT mated.

Name:  img_3757_027a81e19efc3e1d5521858c0ef2a79d764cc79f.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  248.0 KB

There was an interference issue with two of the four (top) rear oil seal cover screws. I shaved my screws down a bit to work through this issue. I talked to domiworks and they are making an update to their design. I'm trying to locate a spare starter to make sure there are no issues there

Quote Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post
      Here is a pic of the 5.3 and DCT mated.

Name:  img_3757_027a81e19efc3e1d5521858c0ef2a79d764cc79f.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  248.0 KB

There was an interference issue with two of the four (top) rear oil seal cover screws. I shaved my screws down a bit to work through this issue. I talked to domiworks and they are making an update to their design. I'm trying to locate a spare starter to make sure there are no issues there
      Sounds like you are the reason I got an email this morning lol. I might go with this method;

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  11.8 KB

Did you try to mount the starter?

Sounds like you are the reason I got an email this morning lol.

Did you try to mount the starter?
      Yep, I'm the reason.

If I can't get my hands on a starter in a day or so, I'll pull the one from my Vette for a test fit.

What are the starter issues?
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      What are the starter issues?
      Hopefully none lol. Its just the only thing left thats gotta fit...

Hopefully none lol. Its just the only thing left thats gotta fit...

What I meant was, what starters do you use with this arrangement?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I have a Powermaster XS new in the box that I'm using for my car. If you want to meet up and try it out let me know.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com