Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

carpeting and insulation

Hey guys just about ready to resume finishing the Eastwood version of dyno-mat and was wondering if you guys are installing carpet with jute or laying down any particular type of insulation because, Yeah its getting hot here in Dallas ( 102 today) and was driving the F-85 with about 2/3 of the floor now covered and once that floor got hot, the A/C could barely keep the interior cool, plus I have not tinted the windows yet. So any ideas would be great!! Thanks.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      64 F-85 post car Resto-Mod project-my RV when I retire

Country Flag: United States
      Have you applied anything to the ceiling or firewall? Heat comes into these cars from all directions. I think the dynamat's primary purpose is sound deadening. You can put radiant barriers under the floor pan to reflect exhaust heat, radiant barrier on the ceiling, and tint the windows as you mentioned.

What are the specs on your AC system?
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Oh I didn't mentioned the ceiling was covered before the head liner was installed. I was going to also cut pieces of left over dyno mat and put in the inside of the door panels. Firewall is covered. Radiant barriers? What type or brand is recommended? Thanks.

Under the car I was thinking of the diamond texture heat shields like what are used under factory cars. For example this stuff: https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/hp-sticky-shield

For the ceiling I was thinking along the lines of foil radiant barrier products they use for home roofing, but I'm not really sure they would do anything since the metal roof itself is a sort of radiant barrier.

AC that uses recirculated air will help as well as good window and door seals.

Ceramic coating on headers and/or exhaust tubing can reduce underhood and therefor firewall temperatures.

Old Air products is what I installed for A/C very similar to Vintage A/C. I like that stick on diamond texture heat shield you mentioned. Summitt Racing carries it here in their DFW warehouse. Add that underneath the floor board were the header tubes run with everything else that should do it thanks.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Dynamat is a sound deadener and does little to reduce heat imho. I use Thermozite over the Dynamat for thermal insulation. Make sure your firewall is insulated too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermozite-...n/161711296838

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

According to the site below, Thermozite has an R value of about 1.3. That will reduce conductive heat flow through whatever surface it's applied to by about 24% (1-1/1.3).

https://www.yourautotrim.com/thercarpad.html

Another option, according to this site, is a product they call "HeatShield" which they claim has an R value of 18.3. That would reduce conductive heat flow by about 94% (1-1/18.3). That seems like an unrealistically high claim, but it might be worth looking into.

https://www.quietride.com/faq.html

I have a supercharged car and I us bedliner then Dynamat then the just and carpet to help keep the heat and noise down,

Yes sir the Quiet ride product has somewhat of a big claim at 94%, however even it reduces heat flow to 50% Im still ahead? Is there anything you guys are putting up under the dash? That seems to be the next challenge because of all the wiring, after market A/C system, the curves and all/ How about a spray foam? That probably would create more of a mess?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com