Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Aluminum Rad Failure -- Lets Pick a New One

My Champion aluminum radiator in the GTO is about 5 years old, has maybe 10,000 miles on it. This year it started leaking in the corners where the core meets the tank. I took it to a local reputable shop where the owner scoffed at all aluminum rads and says he fixes or replaces them constantly and would never choose one over a brass/copper unit. Says aluminum is brittle by nature and just can't be trusted over the long haul.He tried fixing it with epoxy twice and it still leaks. Quoted me $600 for a custom built brass/copper unit.

In looking around now what I see is:

- aluminum rads for $150-1500
      - brass/copper Desert Coolers for $5-700
      - a Spectra Premium unit for about $400
      - a Spectra Premium plastic/aluminum unit for $100.

What's working for you guys IN THE LONG RUN? Not interested in opinions on fit, cooling ability, what you just bought for your project and looks great, etc. Far as I'm concerned if a plastic/aluminum rad is good enough for a ZR1 Corvette and my 200,000 mile Escalade it should be good enough for me and I'll order the $100 Spectra.

What are your thoughts?
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Country Flag: United States
      I've been running the Spectra plastic/aluminum one in my 72 Skylark for a couple years with no issues. I had the same logic as you - if they last 200k+ miles in new cars they should be good enough for my old one. The car runs cooler than it did with original style brass one I swapped out, and it's way lighter.
      - Ryan

Did you mount it with rubber wellnuts?

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I used the original rubber mounting cushions; they looked something like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/123285632886?...saAi6aEALw_wcB
      - Ryan

I see no issues using a plastic tank radiator. When I was into RX7s I used a C4 radiator. It had the right size hoses for an LS and it was light weight. Never had cooling issues in a RX7 that basically has no grill area. I would look at Rockauto and see which vehicles match the GTO dimensions best, or if Spectra Premium already makes a radiator that fits, go for it! Also, sent you a PM, Interceptor...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Used oem-style rubber mounts top and bottom.
      17 GT350

Running a $100 parts store plastic rad for 3000 miles now. Temps are the same, no issues so far.
      17 GT350

I've been running a factory replacement aluminum with plastic tanks for the last ~15 years or so with no issues. I believe it's a two row... probably what one might classify as an "Autozone" radiator, but I bought it from a local radiator shop. It has the name Visteon molded into the plastic tanks. Cost me about ~$100 at the time. The fit is 100% factory... didn't have to modify anything to put it in.

But it's cooling a ~400 hp small block with A/C and 180F thermostat and a mid-90's Taurus 2-speed fan. Does very well even in 100F weather with the A/C on in traffic... coolant will top out between 190-195. But in "normal" weather and conditions, it'll hold firm at 180F.

As far as I'm concerned, for the average street car these all-aluminum radiators are overkill and probably a waste of money.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Interesting, I ran a solid mounted aluminum radiator for 15 years and didn't have any problems with it until I replaced it during the engine swap.

I'd be hesitant to put all of my faith into one source of information, I have no concerns with aftermarket aluminum radiators.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

C&R Racing alumimum radiator with integral oil cooler and custom brackets for the MarkVIII fan. Three One Laps, hundreds of track days, and a bazillion street miles with zero issues.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com