Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Rear Brakes with E -brake - 12 Bolt Options

Looking to upgrade my rear brakes on my 12 bolt - Camaro - wanted to see what people recommend for rear brake kits, incorporating E-brake. I had changed from drum to disc 20 years ago - SSBC - single piston - but looking for something newer - Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      Are you wanting something OE based or aftermarket?

I am using 4th gen Camaro brakes out back which can be adapted to the 12 bolt pretty easily and have a drum in hat parking brake. They are nothing top of the line but they are inexpensive, work well and the consumables are readily available. I think Kore3 has a number of options for adapting Corvette brakes, which may also may be a good option and have larger disc sizes available. If you are leaving the c-clips on the 12 bolt, you should probably stick to OE style floating calipers. From my reading, fixed multi-piston calipers will likely suffer from knockback with a c-clip rear end. I converted my 12bolt to a Ford tapered bearing housing end, which eliminated the c-clips.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Thanks for looking at Wilwood kits.

Country Flag: United States
      Wilwood makes great stuff and there are lots of options. I'd reach out to their tech department and discuss your expectations for the system. One thing I would not want to do is "upgrade" the rear without having a good understanding of how it fits into the overall system, the front setup, the master, etc. I'm sure they can help you to achieve your goals. What you don't want to do is install a high dollar set of rear calipers and rotors that are not matched well to the the rest of the system and end up braking too little (leading to overall poor performance) or too much (leading to a dangerous oversteer situation).

What does the rest of your system include? What master size, booster (if power), and front calipers/rotors do you have now?
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

The car currently has a Martz Chassis front subframe – which I believe uses a 1986 Camaro style single piston caliper in the front and it has a SSBC A125 rear disc brake conversion on a Chevy 12 bolt rearend. The car is also using a 8in dual diaphragm 1-1/8 bore power master cylinder and a disc to disc distribution block (all from MP Brakes).

Been looking at Wilwood and was thinking to perhaps upsize to a 6 Piston in the front on a 13" rotor and matching 13' rotor / 4 piston in the rear.

Car is running 16 wheels - but in process of changing to 18.

I am using Kor3 and C6 z06 brakes wilwood master, installing the 4 piston this weekendName:  20180901_135934.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  187.2 KB
      72 Baldwin Motion (Tribute) EFI
      67 SS 396 (496) Red EFI
      99 Hugger orange Z28 Sold

2001 SS Camaro SLP 19K miles

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com