Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need some help with diagnosing a problem

I'm wiring a 69 Skalark with all new harnesses except for the steering column. The blinkers are acting weird like there's a short somewhere, also when the blinkers are flashing the coutesy lights under the dash dim in and out in sync with the blinker flasher. I'm pretty sure the problem is in the steering column harness but want to be sure before I yank it out. Question is what is the right way to diagnose and make sure it's not a problem in the underdash harness. I've got a power probe and want to unplug the steering column harness and send power to the main harness with the power probe. Only problem is I'm not getting any reaction with the blinkers when I shoot power to the blinker wires. Do I need to ground or hook up power to other wires in the connector that plugs into the column harness before testing the blinker wires? Any help or instruction would be appreciated.

I can't help specifically, but having a complete wiring schematic for the harness would be extremely helpful.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Make sure that your grounds are good by checking all ground points. Also, check all your fuses and bulbs. If you are using LED bulbs try putting the incandescent bulbs back in and test to see if that makes a difference or not. LEDS don't like old wiring systems. Also, I have seen when a circuit that has a bad fuse, that bad fused circuit will effect the action of another circuit on the older cars.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

^^This^^

Sounds like the turn signals are making a alternate ground path thru the courtesy lights. I have a '72 442 convertible and there is a ground wire that comes off the turn signal harness in the steering column. Make sure this is screwed down - and clean the metal really well to ensure a good electrical connection. You really need to download a wiring diagram for your car otherwise you're kinda flying blind, Good luck!

Rodney
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Thanks for the replys. I'll have to call them Monday to get the schematic. They had to build the harness and took awhile to get but, didn't come with a diagram. I was just curious about the diagnosing of the system without the column harness plugged in. In other words I'm wanting to unhook the column harness and try to get the blinkers to fire by using the power probe on the connector coming off of the main harness that plugs into the column harness. I tried this Friday afternoon and couldn't get the blinkers to respond.

Bad grounding as above. Check the grounds at the headlights, side markers, parking lights, tail lights etc.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com