Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

T56 2nd gear grind

My T56 has recently started to grind going into 2nd if shift above 4000 rpms. This t56 is used, it came out of a gto with unknown miles. I've put about 2500 miles on it and it was shifting perfectly.

I have this in an LS3 swapped Chevelle making 575rwhp/ 524tq. I have a new magnum on the way, but I want to make sure that the problem is the transmission before I change it out. I tried changing out the fluid in the transmission and bleeding the master cylinder but none of that helped. All other gears shift fine

We see that problem quite a bit with those older T56 transmissions. The 2nd gear is usually the most abused so it typically starts to wear the synchronizers and fork pads quicker than the other gears which results in the poor shifts. Nearly any 6 speed rebuild we do needs a new 2nd gear and synchro. The other thing you will want to check if you haven't already is your bellhousing concentric alignment. Typically you would notice that issue right away if it's really far off, but since it was good and then started to deteriorate you may be slightly out of alignment.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Thanks for the response, I actually placed an order for a magnum f earlier this week from you.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenq View Post
      Thanks for the response, I actually placed an order for a magnum f earlier this week from you.
      The username just clicked! Thanks for the order!
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com