Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Clutch disengaging too far?

Is it possible for a clutch to disengage too far? I noticed today (first time pulling the car out of the garage) that when my clutch pedal is fully depressed, I start to hear a small grinding and whining noise. I let the pedal out a little and was still able to get into first gear without grinding.

My plan is to add a bump stop to the firewall behind the clutch pedal and adjusting to get the right height, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something bigger and simply bypassing the real issue.

So is it possible for the throwout bearing to travel too far? I guess the answer is probably yes, but I remember measuring a lot of those types of things when I installed the clutch and to bearing a couple years ago... I'm using an LS7 clutch/flywheel PN: SDLS7CK Ram clutch T.O bearing, PN: 78131 and McLeod master PN: mcl-139310

Yes... do you have any way to look at or measure the air gap between the disc and PP/flywheel?
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

I'll have to check when I get home but from what I remember there isn't really a way to get in there and measure anything. I can maybe get the boot out of the way to take a peek though. I'll have to try when I get home, I did add the bump stop and that seems to have resolved the issue but I haven't tried anything more than moving the car a few feet.

The LS7 clutch has built in stops for the clutch fingers and the fingers don't need a lot of travel to achieve clutch release. I can see that the force of a TOB can easily start to press against those spring stops. You can do a simple test with the car jacked up and engine off. Put the trans in 4th gear and have someone pressing slowly on the clutch pedal while you are putting a rotational force on the driveshaft. Make note where the clutch pedal is when you can start turning the driveshaft by hand and note any changes to feel and listen for sounds as the clutch pedal is pushed further.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I couldn't really get up there to get a measurement on the clutch but I did what andrewb70 mentioned and was able to find a good spot where I don't grind gears, or clutch, using a bolt through the floor as a pedal stop. While having this stop in the car is no real problem, I'm not a huge fan of it. I thought I'd done enough research on all of this before putting it together but apparently I didn't... Would swapping to a different bore size master cylinder possible resolve the issue, or maybe an adjustable master cylinder? If not that then just I choose a throw out bearing with too much travel for an LS7 clutch?

Thanks for the info on this stuff by the way, I was worried I'd have to pull the clutch with no other options.

What's the size your your MC now?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I'm using a Mcleod mcl-139310 3/4 bore MC.

Moving to a slammer MC might be good.

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com