Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Car audio trunk build out cost?

What did you all spend on your custom car trunk audio build minus electronics. I’m having my car in shop next week to build custom boxes for my 2 subs. What did you all spend for those you didn’t build themselves. Just want to make sure my budget is reasonable. It’s for my 67 GTO. Pics and cost would be amazing cause I’m also looking for ideas and price comparisons.

Are you building something to show off the amp(s) and subs? All hidden equipment? What do you want it made out of? Fiberglass? MDF? Wrapped in interior material? Painted?
      Serviceability is very important, you don’t want to have to destroy anything when you need to access equipment, but that adds more complexity to the build, especially if rattles, panel gaps and hidden fasteners are taken into consideration.
      im sure something simple could be made for $1000. There are a lot of custom trunks I’ve seen that were 3,4,5X that much
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

check out alienenclosures.com they do custom trunk panels, rear speaker decks, that you can cover in whatever you want

scott

So I have two ideas that I am going to mention to my builder. I’m getting it in next Monday. Hope to go through drivetrain/suspension/brakes and maybe drive it long distance for first time in 3 years and not tow it . Anyways.
      First thought was to place 2 jl audio 12w6v3 one on each side of quarter panel facing directly or offset. Those boxes would be ported. The outside of box would be flush with trunk opening.
      Second which I feel would sound better but space may be an issue. I would like a box that is built in to the area under the package tray and porting to the cabin via port. I would then have the subs face rearward and then finishing of the trunk with panel later and a durable carpet. I should have written this out. May be helpful. I guess I’m just asking cause I want to make sure I don’t over pay given our current state.

I would double check that you want a ported box. Those are really nice subs and a sealed box would still make a ton of bass, but not overly boomie, if thats a word. Also under the package tray is a good location, it’ll keep the weight over the axle, mdf is pretty heavy.

A '67 GTO has a pretty large rear package tray. I vote for a single 12" sub mounted in the center of the package tray with a sealed box built behind the rear deck. You will have much better sound quality with a single sub firing directly into the cabin than you will with elaborate boxes vented thru the rear deck. You should have plenty of rear deck real estate left over to mount some 6.5 or 6x9's co-axials or even a nice set of 6.5" components to complete the rear sound stage. Any time you install 2 subs you will have comb filtering or cancellation problems where the wave front of one sub will cancel some frequencies of the other which makes tuning much more difficult. Unless you want that "rattle the deck lid", "hear you coming half a mile away" bass; then it's all about loudness and not sound quality and the more subs the better! Not trying to be a smart ass. I owned a recording studio for 20 years and know a thing or 2 about sound. Hope you found my post helpful!
      Rodney
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

What amp did you end up getting to power these? Assuming it’s something powerful, I also vote for the sealed box. I would fire it through the rear deck like mentioned before, but if you want it to look cool, it will still be plenty loud if they fire into the trunk. ONE properly setup W6 will be more than enough to over power the midrange that (i assume) you’re hooking up to your xd1000.5 in an SQ installation.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

I bring it Monday to audio shop. Report back after Monday

Country Flag: Philippines
      Mine was approximately $1500 with me building my own box, but included the package tray. Name:  C41D9970-A31E-48FD-AB3C-8BC59544FC79.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  115.3 KBName:  FCD94505-929F-4460-91A3-ECD75EAF5908.jpeg
Views: 1102
Size:  127.5 KB
      69 Camaro LS2, ridetech 4 link fikse wheels yada yada yada
      17 Grand Sport

Quote Originally Posted by jamminj007 View Post
      Mine was approximately $1500 with me building my own box, but included the package tray. Name:  C41D9970-A31E-48FD-AB3C-8BC59544FC79.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  115.3 KBName:  FCD94505-929F-4460-91A3-ECD75EAF5908.jpeg
Views: 1102
Size:  127.5 KB

Beautiful car man! To answer the question above I’m running one Jl xd1000.5 and one xd600.1. Build out got delayed. I pulled out from the shop I was going to use. Didn’t have a good feeling. They were also charging a flat fee which was too high. Hopefully my guy will have a bay open this week or so.

I was wondering if you ended up with two 12” w6 in the car, that would be crazy bump in your trunk.
      I ran two of those in my boat with 1000w each. I couldn’t imagine that in my Camaro unless I was doing a bump competition with about a dozen mids and tweets in the car. Sealed box for this is pretty big, ported would really be big.
      For sure post pics of that system when you’re done.

Quote Originally Posted by keith4909 View Post
      I bring it Monday to audio shop. Report back after Monday

been a few months...any updates?
      ...life is too short, live for today, tomorrow isn't guaranteed

I will be running 2 12w6v3. I have it wired and the bass is clean and world shaking. I’ll post pics and a link to a video when I get it in and back from shop.

Being an audiophile myself, I’d like to know the rest of the components being used, and what has been done to the vehicle. If the car has a 1500 hp engine and no sound deadening, you aren’t going to hear much with 1200 watts. Also, if there is a 2 5.25s in some kick panels and nothing else, there is so much unbalanced audio going on, then I can only recommend an 15 incher in the truck with a 5 foot box ported to around 32 hz
      ...life is too short, live for today, tomorrow isn't guaranteed

I’ll be running 2 6.5” jl c5-650’s with cross overs in the doors. In the rear package tray will be a set of c2-570X. Car has dynamat extreme in doors, interior floor, and trunk. Will likely do dynamat under headliner too. Just need to do figure out how to remove headliner or I’ll find someone who can. There is some major vibration in at the highest bass level but it would very rarely hit those frequencies during normal listening. The bass is second to none and the rattling and vibration is surprising low for how powerful the bass. The sound deadening made a substantial difference. I will be laying dynapad under carpet too. Running a xd1000.5 and an xd500.1 I think. Motor is a 474ci mild build. Probably in the 450/500hp range. I’m actually looking into a different exhaust set up to quiet it down. Currently have 40 series flowmasters and the drone and sound level is too high. I am however looking for a recomendation for a good Eq. I’m looking for a very high quality system so I’m open to suggestions.

AudioControl makes some nice EQs and they stand behind their product. Maybe give them a look.
      https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/equalizers/
      1970RS Camaro
      Lateral Dynamics, Wilwood, BOZE, Strange Engineering, Alston, Ride Tech, Gen II, FAST.
      Dave Cozzi

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com