Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

First start ideas

Looking for ideas on first start. Any tips on things to do not do.. ?
      LS3 Crate 480 everything is new..

was thinking I wold use straight water instead of antifreeze..
      Was considering filling the PS pump with fluid and spinning it with a drill prior to start ?

Other ideas check lists thoughts appreciated..
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

Country Flag: United States
      Best way to prime a power steering system is to raise the wheels off the ground and slowly cycle the steering side to side without the car running until all the air bubbles are gone imho... Many cycles needed....

Fill coolant system with front end of the car raised a couple of feet to purge the air pockets. I wouldn’t fark around with water because it will just make it harder to purge the air next time imho. Using one of these will also purge the air.
      https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-...ree-funnel-606
      It can be a real PITA to purge it if you cut corners and don’t get it right the first time.

Prime the oil pressure before starting. Lots of debate on how best to do this so I’ll let the experts respond.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

A good way to help get air out of the cooling system before starting is to disconnect the steam line while filling it up until you get a stream. Also for an oil pre-luber, you can make oil from a 5 at oil container. It worked surprisingly well.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ming-tool.html

Depending on how you plumbed the steam line (plumbed into the top of the water pump) you may have to do some purging after startup. I like using the coolant temp sensor. Just loosen it up slightly and let it burb some coolant out. I use 50- 50 anti-freeze water mix.
      Power steering pump? If the system is dry I over fill the resevior slightly and then check the level when you can turn the wheels back and forth as suggested above.
      I done a number LS swaps, both new engines and used and I've never primed the engine oil. Never had a problem. On the first start I pull the 12 volt fuse to the fuel pump, crank it a few times to get the oil moving. Then replace the fuse and start it. Not to say you can't prime it but I haven't. If you haven't done a LS swap before you will be shocked how quickly it will start and run.
      Good Luck.

I just filled mine through the top rad hose and had no trouble with trapped air.

Are you going to pre oil? I installed an oil port above the oil filter on my 5.3 and I used a cheap weed sprayer to pump oil in there. There's you tube videos. If I was to do it again I'd use some kind of container I could pressurize with regulated air pressure instead of all that pumping.

For power steering pump I did what you suggested spinning it with a drill and going lock to lock on the steering wheel.

Turn your key to on a few times to listen for the fuel pump working and look for fuel leaks. I put shop paper towel under/around all the joints so you can see leaks easy.

The coolant is not the primary concern. You need to get a pressurized pre-luber to properly prelube the motor before start. It's easy with an old school carb motor, but LS's are different animal. You can try to start it w/o pre-lubing, but you rolling the dice big time. I have seen several motors w/o the bearings trashed because the owner/shop cranked the **** out of it trying to get it to start because of whatever problem. You can build one yourself on the cheap via youtube, or buy one pretty much ready to go. If you need help, PM me.

Answers to some Questions:
      I followed a thread here with oil priming, basically jacked up the back of the car, removed plugs put Oil pressure guage in back of motor and used the started to prime. On start day will repeat.

As for the coolant i don't want to seem like I lack confidence but more and excersizing an abundance of caution.. if I have a leak or something.. I would rather have to clean up water then coolant.. so I was considering.. using just water for first start and heat cycle to ck for leaks.. let it run then drain and refill with proper coolant .. Amy I crazy will that get too hot and boil over?

67 Camaro In progress

Only problem with using straight water is you won't get it all out afterward. Then getting the proper antifreeze/water ratio will be tricky. Antifreeze is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
      Only problem with using straight water is you won't get it all out afterward. Then getting the proper antifreeze/water ratio will be tricky. Antifreeze is cheap.
      Not At all worried about the $$ it's more about the cleanup should a leak occur.. say for example at the heater core inside the car.. I am one of those super paranoid types who checks every thing 10X but still wants to migrate risks.

67 Camaro In progress

I have had excellent results backfilling the coolant system through the steam vent. I just attach a 1 foot hose with a little funnel to it and that now becomes the highest point in the cooling system. It is a little tedious and slow, but works every time.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I have had excellent results backfilling the coolant system through the steam vent. I just attach a 1 foot hose with a little funnel to it and that now becomes the highest point in the cooling system. It is a little tedious and slow, but works every time.

Andrew

I did buy one of the coolant burping funnel kits.. to solve for this. ARES 71502 - Spill Proof Coolant Filling Kit - Eliminates Trapped Air Pockets and Squeaky Belts Due to Overflow

67 Camaro In progress

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com