Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Jack Stands Recall, Harbor Freight IMPORTANT SAFETY

Copying this from AutoBlog:

Harbor Freight is recalling over 1.7 million Pittsburgh-branded jack stands that can suddenly collapse due to a manufacturing flaw. It warned its customers that they need to stop using the defective stands immediately.

The recall campaign includes three- and six-ton stands wearing item numbers 56371, 61196 or 61197. The number is found on the label that's normally affixed to the top or the base of the stand depending on the model; it should be clearly legible. Harbor Freight told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) it realized the tooling used to make the stands near Hangzhou, China, had become worn out due to age and was manufacturing inconsistent parts. As a result, the ratchet teeth might not be deep enough to hold the lifting extension in place if a shift in weight occurs, like when you're banging on a rusty brake drum with a mallet, and the stand could collapse without warning. That's bad news if you're under it, working on a 4,700-pound SUV.

There's no word yet on whether any injuries or deaths are blamed on the defect. There is also no word on whether the stands, manufactured by a supplier named Jiaxing Golden Roc Tools Co., Ltd., (and exported by Shanghai Shen Da Import and Export Co Ltd.), might have been sold by other retailers.

Separate NHTSA documents reveal the recall includes 1,254,000 three-ton stands and 454,000 six-ton stands, though only about 5% of each type are potentially defective. Alarmingly, the defective three-ton stands were manufactured between December 1, 2012, and March 31, 2020, while the six-ton units were made between June 13, 2013, and November 22, 2019. "Although we believe this issue arose in more recent production batches, because we are not able to confirm that earlier production units do not have this issue, out of an abundance of caution we are recalling all units prior to the recall date," the company wrote in a statement sent to regulators

Owners of defective jack stands are being urged not to use them, and to return them to their nearest Harbor Freight location when possible, though shut-downs and stay-at-home orders are adding an unusual degree of complication to this campaign. Customers will receive a gift card for the amount of a set of comparable stands.

Harbor Freight added it's in the process of evaluating jack stands it sourced from other suppliers to ensure they're safe, though the COVID-19 outbreak has slowed its progress. It said it hasn't received customer complaints about other products, but it will update the report it sent the NHTSA after it concludes its investigation

I have 6 ton stands of both the recalled version and an older design. I found the recalled version has marginal lock pawl engagement, much less than the older stands I have on hand. Here is a photo looking down from teh top of the jack stand to see the lock pawl engagement.

Name:  HF Jack Stands.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  59.3 KB

If you have these stands, please stop using them immediately. If you return them to Harbor Freight, they are offering a gift card.

Great video here:

Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

I just returned my 6 ton jackstands. I never had an issue but this isn't a place to roll the dice.

There have been many commenting on forums about "Harbor Freight" and or "made in China" as if either of the two were a factor in the recall. The issues as mentioned was worn out tooling. Since I had to return mine I started researching replacements and I found out that all but 2 companies selling jackstands are 100% made in Asia. And of those 2, one company is making a stand that's 50/50 mfr in China/U.S. and then boxed in the U.S. That leaves only 1 company making their stand 100% in the U.S.
      And from the looks of it many of the ones sold under various labels appear to be coming from the same factory.

Personally I would have no issue of the country of origin as long as the product is superior. And the Name of the store selling it is incidental.
      Tracey

Did they have a better set to replace them with or did you just take a giftcard?

I agree - almost impossible to find a US-made anything. It really depends on the design and quality control at the specific factory or importing business. You can have good parts made in China just as easily as bad parts. The name does matter some though - Harbor Freight does design some of their own products and may or may not implement additional quality control compared to other companies manufacturing in China. Eastwood also comes to mind. Sometimes they are literally selling the same product made in the same factory, but sometimes they are selling a house-designed product. It varies.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

I bought my 6 ton stands from them in 2008...

I've been wrenching for 20 years now and never buy jack stands without safety pin locks that go through the strand.
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      Did they have a better set to replace them with or did you just take a giftcard?
      They gave me a direct swap for new ones.
      John Brown
      1971 Nova - Project Car
      1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
      Instagram @wilwaxu
      Facebook @wilwaxu

The new ones have a much beefier tooth design on the extension.
      Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      I've been wrenching for 20 years now and never buy jack stands without safety pin locks that go through the strand.
      I have a pair like that my dad gave me back when he used to wrench, and hes 72yrs old so I know there made in the USA
      72 chevelle.

gahhh, my car is literally supported by them right now, however today is the day I plan to get the suspension reinstalled and the car back on cribs.
      saying that, regardless of the recall, how I work around jack stands won't change. The mindset that they can collapse at any second is kind of a necessity to stay safe when working with them.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com