Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Gen 5 Camaro window switches

I'm thinking of using some Gen 5 Camaro door panels in an interior update. Is there any way to use these with 12v power window motors like NuRelics? If I read the schematic correctly, the 5th Gen switches talk to the BMC and then the BCM to the power window motor? I would assume its doing a voltage conversion of some sort if that's the case? Anyone know how I could make these work?

thanks...
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Chances are the switches are low amperage design to where they just sent a small low amperage signal to the BCM and then the BCM sent signals out to the motors. Inside the BCM it probably took the small amperage signal and then threw relays or activated circuits to work the higher amperage draw window motors.
      Even if they were a 5V type of switch working with a low amperage circuit then running them with 12v to relays may not pose any issues BUT if you can find more info on the switches ratings, the better.

I know through the years I have taken low amperage switches found on some power seat assemblies (or even aftermarket switches) and then figured out how they work to then connect to standard 30/40A Bosch style relays and then the seat motors would then wire to these relays. You could also then add in additional things like a relay to where the window circuit was getting main power from the battery but the additional relay would only allow them to work with the key in the accessory positions. One might also be able to add one touch circuits for down AND up operation.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
      Chances are the switches are low amperage design to where they just sent a small low amperage signal to the BCM and then the BCM sent signals out to the motors. Inside the BCM it probably took the small amperage signal and then threw relays or activated circuits to work the higher amperage draw window motors.
      Even if they were a 5V type of switch working with a low amperage circuit then running them with 12v to relays may not pose any issues BUT if you can find more info on the switches ratings, the better.

I know through the years I have taken low amperage switches found on some power seat assemblies (or even aftermarket switches) and then figured out how they work to then connect to standard 30/40A Bosch style relays and then the seat motors would then wire to these relays. You could also then add in additional things like a relay to where the window circuit was getting main power from the battery but the additional relay would only allow them to work with the key in the accessory positions. One might also be able to add one touch circuits for down AND up operation.

Jim
      Thanks Jim... I'm assuming just an amp meter with help me find out the voltage rating for the switches? I do believe they are 5v though.

Chris--

I've probably got those switches boxed up somewhere if you haven't already purchased them and want to play around. I don't see myself using them.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      I've probably got those switches boxed up somewhere if you haven't already purchased them and want to play around. I don't see myself using them.
      Thanks.. I have the door panels already with the switches. I think I might pull the switches and close off the opening, then install NuRelics switches? It will make life easier.

Chris--

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      Thanks.. I have the door panels already with the switches. I think I might pull the switches and close off the opening, then install NuRelics switches? It will make life easier.
      I decided long ago I would go the route of billet switches on the center console instead of door mounted switches. the nu-relics option would probably be easier imo

Looks like they switch to ground with a positive wire for the illumination. Use a DEI module. That's what I did on my Chevelle with zero issues. They can trigger from positive or negative and will give you one touch control plus if you have an alarm you can make it raise and lower them.

Alex

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Directed-53...53.m1438.l2649

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com