Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Swap mounts that allow low mount A/C.

I am doing a LS swap on my 72 Chevelle and am wanting to use the lower factory location A/C. I have the HPI frame kit, so transmission adjustment is fairly decent. The swap I am doing is a 6.0/4l80E, the motor has LS3 heads and ZL1 supercharger. And I really don't like the look or some of the pricing of the after market setups. And would also like to use the upper passenger side of the motor for a catch can.

Thanks everyone.

I believe most or all the swap mounts allow a low mount AC comp if you use a Sanden and a different bracket. Dirty Dingo has them, Vintage air too. The OE variable type compressors aren’t recommended for VA.
      Fitment to different frames may still be an issue but they fit better than an OE, that’s for sure.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I used Dougs SK100 adapters, carved out part of the AC compressor bracket, and used a Denso 10S17 compressor. This is on my 70 Nova which has a different frame/suspension. I had to notch the subframe to make room for this compressor. I don't know if this position would work/clear for your car.

Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

The Holley Forward location mounts for the A-bodies allow the use of the stock AC location.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      I believe most or all the swap mounts allow a low mount AC comp if you use a Sanden and a different bracket. Dirty Dingo has them, Vintage air too. The OE variable type compressors aren’t recommended for VA.
      Fitment to different frames may still be an issue but they fit better than an OE, that’s for sure.

-Dale

Dale, thanks for the input, as I did forget to say I do plan on using Vintage Air in my build. So yes I do plan on using the Sanden compressor that I believe come in the Vintage Air kit for the 72 Chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by t72ss402 View Post
      Dale, thanks for the input, as I did forget to say I do plan on using Vintage Air in my build. So yes I do plan on using the Sanden compressor that I believe come in the Vintage Air kit for the 72 Chevelle.
      You might want to request a compressor delete kit and go with the smaller SD7 style compressor.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I used the Dirty Dingo setup on the my 72 Cutlass with LSA conversion. The Holley bracket would not work with my Dirty Dingo mounts. I have VA iwth SD7 compressor... Name:  Photo May 10, 1 09 10 PM.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  289.9 KBName:  Photo Dec 17, 8 16 13 PM.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  252.9 KB
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

That looks great. do you remember which dirty dingo mounts you went with? And what front accessory set up did you run?

That looks great. do you remember which dirty dingo mounts you went with? And what front accessory set up did you run?
      I used the Double D adjustable mounts as they say it does not work with their slider plates. The accessory drive is Holley ps/alternator and GM LSA for the blower. The Holley is in the Vette spacing with LSA balancer.

Chris--

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      I used the Double D adjustable mounts as they say it does not work with their slider plates. The accessory drive is Holley ps/alternator and GM LSA for the blower. The Holley is in the Vette spacing with LSA balancer.
      Csouth, What oil pan are you using? Do you have any clearance issues with the steering linkage?

Holley makes a low mount bracket for an SD7 compressor, BUT it would not work in my 86 Monte SS with it in the position closest to the block where it is needed for the supercharger. It would interfere with the motor mount & front crossmember. So I notched the frame, only had to notch it about an inch, and made my own motor mounts that are on the rearward side of the front crossmember.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Csouth, What oil pan are you using? Do you have any clearance issues with the steering linkage?
      I'm using the Autokraft pan, same one as TheBandit in his pics. No steering linkage issues at all.

Chris--

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com