Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Catch Can Routing....

Hi Friends!

I recently installed a Mighty Mouse Catch can on my LS3 crate engine in my 69 Camaro.
      The directions sent with the Catch Can were not the clearest so I was hoping one of you who knows more than me would let me know if I have routed this correctly.

Are my inlet and exits routed correctly? For the top outlet, the directions gave no idea of where to route the should go. As I understand this outlet is for during road racing (which I am hoping to get into more and more often) allowing oil to outflow if the oil overheats. Im trying to find the best outlet for the tubing attached to this outlet so if the oil does overflow, where should I have it let out? Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Name:  ls3 catch can 1.jpg
Views: 4383
Size:  56.7 KBName:  ls3 catch can 3.jpg
Views: 2690
Size:  51.7 KB
      "What is each day but a series of conflicts between the easy way and the right way?"

69 camaro, daytona blue. LS376-495 (Hotcam LS3), TR-6060 6-speed
      Tubular control arms with coilovers

Why are you using unmetered air on the clean side instead of connecting it to the intake tube between the MAF and throttle body? At least that’s what I think I see.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I agree with Don. Is that small filter your clean air side of the system? If so, instead of the filter it should be connected to a port past the MAF but before the throttle blade.

Also, the threaded fitting on the top of the canister likely should be plugged or else it's just a big vacuum leak.

Then there's this: "allowing oil to outflow if the oil overheats." Can you please clarify this point?
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      I agree with Don. Is that small filter your clean air side of the system? If so, instead of the filter it should be connected to a port past the MAF but before the throttle blade.

Also, the threaded fitting on the top of the canister likely should be plugged or else it's just a big vacuum leak.

Then there's this: "allowing oil to outflow if the oil overheats." Can you please clarify this point?
      I think that top port has a built in check valve for boosted applications.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Okay, makes sense for a blow-through application, but if a MAF is used it may still cause issues.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Okay, makes sense for a blow-through application, but if a MAF is used it may still cause issues.
      I spent some time on the Mighty Mouse website recently and came away with more questions and few answers. Difficult to understand how they work and how to install their catch cans. At least for me it was...

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

The whole thing confuses me too.

Can anyone point us to a site or article that lays out the proper plumbing of a catch can?

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I spent some time on the Mighty Mouse website recently and came away with more questions and few answers. Difficult to understand how they work and how to install their catch cans. At least for me it was...

Don
      Thank goodness, I thought I was crazy. I could not find any solid info on how to install their catch can if it has the third inlet on top for their "road racing": version of their catch can. All of the diagrams are for a two valve system and I could find no info.
      "What is each day but a series of conflicts between the easy way and the right way?"

I have sent a request for additional info into mighty mouse themselves and will post up what I learn once they get back to me.
      Thanks guys.

To the best of my understanding (which is very very little), there is no air port on my intake system. Ive looked all over and found nothing between my MAF and throttle body. Perhaps this is because this LS3 is a crate engine and not the ones in a modern car?

For the top fitting I could find absolutely no info from Mighty Mouse and almost nothing online about where it is supposed to go to. The only thing I could find was a video of a guy installing this same catch can on a C6 Z06 and he said the top fitting was to be attached to tubing leading to anywhere under the car and that then said something about how if the "oil boils" or something like that then the catch can would release the oil from the top to get it out of the engine.
      ... personally, I have no freaking clue.
      Any thoughts?

Correction. This video I found (only one so far for install) says the top is a "check valve" that will open of pressure is too great and spew out oil. The guy in the video is saying to run a hose from this check valve to under the car, or somewhere out of the way to let oil release should the the pressure build to great while you are racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dygmLF0wsY

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
      To the best of my understanding (which is very very little), there is no air port on my intake system. Ive looked all over and found nothing between my MAF and throttle body. Perhaps this is because this LS3 is a crate engine and not the ones in a modern car?

For the top fitting I could find absolutely no info from Mighty Mouse and almost nothing online about where it is supposed to go to. The only thing I could find was a video of a guy installing this same catch can on a C6 Z06 and he said the top fitting was to be attached to tubing leading to anywhere under the car and that then said something about how if the "oil boils" or something like that then the catch can would release the oil from the top to get it out of the engine.
      ... personally, I have no freaking clue.
      Any thoughts?
      You have to drill a hole in your intake tube and add the fitting to connect the hose. The GMPP crate instructions are very clear on this point.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      You have to drill a hole in your intake tube and add the fitting to connect the hose. The GMPP crate instructions are very clear on this point.

Don
      I'll look back through the instructions that (I believe) I have. I had a shop install the engine and do the swap, but Im pretty sure they gave me the GMPP instructional packet. Do you happen to know, once I drill into, and attach a hose, the intake tubing, where that new tube is supposed to run and attach to?

First drill a hole into the intake tube somewhere between the MAF sensor and the throttle body. Judging by your photo, you may have to drill this hole into the elbow going into the throttle body. Next, install a hose fitting into this hole, for example you could use a Spectre 8711 or get a weld-in bung. Finally connect hose between the valve cover and the fitting, replacing the small air filter you have currently. This will ensure any air drawn through the PCV system is accounted for by the MAF sensor instead of acting like a vacuum leak.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
      I'll look back through the instructions that (I believe) I have. I had a shop install the engine and do the swap, but Im pretty sure they gave me the GMPP instructional packet. Do you happen to know, once I drill into, and attach a hose, the intake tubing, where that new tube is supposed to run and attach to?
      It attaches to the fitting on the passenger side valve cover where it appears you have installed a filter.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thakns for the detailed info Clint and Don. Ill get on that and get it installed this weekend.

I've taken the car for a quick 20 mile jaunt with the new catch can and that thing Hisses like a mother****er!
      I looked around online and some people seem to say this is regualr while others say our catch can should be pretty quiet.

What I did notice, and confused me is that there is a little twisty knob on the bottom of the catch can, to let the oil out. I currently have it closed all the way.
      Yet, when I put a finger over it while the engine is running (and I have that annoying hissing noise) it completely cuts out the hissing noise. I thought the
      bottom was supposed to be the drain, making me very confused as to how/why it is sucking in air?

My tiny brain is very confused.
      Name:  ssonly_mm1.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  44.2 KB

The hissing is a vacuum leak indicating the drain is not closed off. The image seems to show just a hose barb with no sort of drain valve / petcock valve. You will need to either cap that during normal use or replace it with a petcock valve so it can be kept closed until you are ready to drain it.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      The hissing is a vacuum leak indicating the drain is not closed off. The image seems to show just a hose barb with no sort of drain valve / petcock valve. You will need to either cap that during normal use or replace it with a petcock valve so it can be kept closed until you are ready to drain it.
      I am a fool. I didnt pay enough attention to the pic I posted. My can has the petcock style valve on the bottom, not a hose barb.

What I found is that if when the petcock valve its opposite of what you think it should be. If you spin it til its tight, it is actually open. When you spin it til its as loose as possible, the valve is actually closed. screwing it completely in the opposite direction took care of my hissing noise! Yah!

Lol. It’s a. Ice catch can though isn’t it? Luckily you didn’t drive like that and drip oil

Does anyone have a good idea of where to route the overflow tubing to? It says route it out of the engine bay and away for the exhaust so it doesnt cause a fire, but doesnt really specify where to run the tubing to.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast