Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Can flat and gloss black clash?

my project is going to have a center stripe in black (gloss clear) with the main body color dark gray. I was planning on doing all the window trim in flat or semigloss black but some have said that it should be done in the same gloss black as the stripe because they will clash against each other...especially where they meet (base of the window where the stripe runs to the base of the rear window.)

Just curious what some of yall think.
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

I think you're the one footing the bill so do what you like best.

But, you could always do test shots and hold them to each other and be sure.
      Tracey

I'm all about having a theme.. as long as you have something else satin black, I don't think the trim will clash with the stripe.
      I've seen plenty of satin black cars with gloss stripes, or vice versa.
      We've done Forgelines with a satin center & gloss outer and it looks sweet.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

If the trim isn't going to be a sharp contrast, like polished, then I would match the trim to the stripe color to tie it in to the theme. It either matches, or it's contrasting, in my opinion. Different sheen seems like it was an oversight to me.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

My wheels are matte black centers with gloss black lips.

Name:  IMG_20200517_125002.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  410.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cwylie View Post
      My wheels are matte black centers with gloss black lips.

Name:  IMG_20200517_125002.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  410.9 KB
      what did you paint your bumpers and mirror with? Thats the matte I'm going for. I have a quart of SEM hotrod black that should get everything I'm planning to flat (matte). Grille, rear bumper, mirrors, all window trim door locks, basically anything that was chrome
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

I had them painted at a local body shop. I need to redo them because they dont match the matte on the tail pannel. They are more of a semi gloss. My tail pannel was done with:

Black ppg d789
      Matte Clear ppg d8115

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com