Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1969 camaro 19s all around?

Planning out my build and I will be running a 11 wide wheel up front and a 12 in the rear. I see the wider tire options are my plentiful in the 19 size as opposed to the 18 inch wheels. Has anyone ran 19s in all 4 corners? I was planning on 18s up front and 19s in the rear but not a lot of tire options for the front. Car has the extreme Speedtech set up.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 71maroesteban View Post
      Planning out my build and I will be running a 11 wide wheel up front and a 12 in the rear. I see the wider tire options are my plentiful in the 19 size as opposed to the 18 inch wheels. Has anyone ran 19s in all 4 corners? I was planning on 18s up front and 19s in the rear but not a lot of tire options for the front. Car has the extreme Speedtech set up.
      im using Speedtech as well and undecided on the wheel size. what was your final wheel and tire setup.

Its not really the diameter that limits tire options, its the width. There just isn't a lot of cars out there that run 315-345 wide tires to make it a big market. Since Michelin makes the OE tire for the Corvette, there options usually follow Chevy's wheel (19s in 345 width). I feel there is a limit to where big wheels with rubber band tires just don't look good on classic cars and I think 19"+ is pushing it. Do you need a wide option of tires? BFG rivals come in the PT popular widths in 18s as well and brands like Toyo and Pirelli to include drag radials from brands like Nitto. I think there are fewer options in 19s..... I think you'll find no matter the diameter there is only going to be limited tire options if you want to run a 335-345 wide rear tire.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Good info. I had heard the tire options were limited in the 18s, hence my questioning if 19s would be a better option because of the vettes. For me I purchased a set of used 315/30/18 only for a mock up. Still need to find some wheels. I think 18s look good and will get the look I want.

Name:  39F046F2-C058-4F35-A622-2590B0C7F35E.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  70.9 KB

Go to tire rack.com and look at the options in 18s and 19s, might surprise you. Where are you located I might have 335 mock tires.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I just ran into a similar situation & have found there are a decent selection of 18" Race type tires (200 or less tread wear), but more street oriented tires are not common (or very expensive) in 18's.

There are many more options for 19's in the 295 & up sizes as long as you are OK with the short sidewall look.

I noticed the other day tirerack only had a couple choices in 285/40R18s. Last time I looked (< a year ago), there were over a 15. Luckily my fallback choice of 275/40s are a popular OEM size, so still dozens of options. Really depends on how many late model OEM cars use them.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Country Flag: New Zealand
      check out other retailers as tire rack does not carry all brands

Quote Originally Posted by Gmc427 View Post
      check out other retailers as tire rack does not carry all brands
      Certainly true.

For me, I want a tire size that isn't going to limit me to only a couple brands. Since tire rack carries a huge selection I them as "test" to see how common a size is. If they don't have at least a dozen of a particular size, then
      1) it's going to narrow my choices considerably
      2) whatever I choose may be discontinued completely when it's time to replace them.
      3) the cost of the tire versus the commonality of size plays a significant role in pricing. I've seen larger tires (more rubber) of the exact same model cost less many times, simply due to the number of tires sold in that size. I've actually upsized 5 daily drivers in the past and the same tire was cheaper than had I gone with the OEM size.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

All good info and thanks for posting on this old thread, even though I kind of jacked it. My apologies to the thread owner. I'll keep digging around on tire rack and other tire stores. I'll check classifieds for throw away tires for now to just to get me the look I'm thinking.

I'm kind of in a pickle. I have the full Speedtech track-time subframe kit, with the and rear suspension/torque arm (no rear-end yet, probably a ford 9). I think I have good room up front, and the rear is mini-tubbed.

I haven't picked up the 9 as I was told to get the wheels and tires first, then measure for the rear-end. Somewhere around 56. So I'm struggling to find the look with either 18's or 19's, without 4k in wheels/tires that just wont have the look I want. I have no plans to autocross so a race tire is not for me. For me its about the functionality and being able to drive wherever.

Ultimately, either all 18s or all 19s, or combo of both 18 front 19 rear are super great options. Then as you said, the amount of sidewall I want to see. I like a bit of sidewall and not the entire rim taking up the space. I have seen some great examples in these pages and google images, and I'll have to dig more into those images to find the specs. I'll keep digging around as everyone will have their own what works for them.

options;
      18X9.5 front or 18x10 front
      18x11 rear or 18x12

295/35/18 or 275/35/18 front
      315/30/18 rear or 335/

Country Flag: New Zealand
      yep did that with m3 bmw large saving by going plus 10 front and rear

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com