Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
      Country Flag: United States
      Man, that is CLEAN! Nicely done!

I have a question about a "test" I'd like to try, not 100% sure of how to do it correctly, maybe someone with more knowledge of electrical circuitry could tell me if it's feasible. What I'd like to do is come up with a way to disconnect the pwm and disable the fans while I'm driving. Ideally, I'd like a toggle switch under the dash that would either cut power to the PWM or the two fans while I'm driving at day... 65 mph.

So here's the deal... on a nice warm day, 85 degrees and sunny, I'm going down the highway at 65 mph, and my temp is at 200 degrees. Actually, that doesn't bother me but with a 195 sensor, the fans stay on continually. Once I slow down to under 35 and I'm in stop and go on local streets the temp goes up to about 215-220 max, and if I get back up to 40-45 the temp drops back to 200. So I'm wondering if the fans rpm is any kind of limiter for airflow thru the condenser, radiator and shroud. Funny thing is that if I pull over and open the hood, temp goes to about 200 and stays there at idle.

I'm wondering if the fans were off, would airflow increase at 65... and maybe the temp would drop to 195 or below? Disconnecting the fans manually under the hood is difficult with a hot engine. As an aside, one of my buddy's suggested I consider adding a pusher fan on the condenser, but if I did that, I'd still need a way to turn that fan on or off without blowing fuses. I think I have enough CFM from the two 12" fans and I know of someone using these exact fans on his almost identical 461 modified BBC with no problems. But he's got them mounted in an El Camino and there might be more airspace around the engine. Anyway, figuring out how to remotely shut off the PWM or the fans is step 1. -Mike
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Which thermostat do you have in the car?

Right now there's a 180° EMP/Stewart in it. For the past several years, I had been running a 160° thermostat that the engine builder installed. That was with a v-belt setup and regular BBC shroud, fan, and 4 core radiator. The car never ran cooler than 170° and typically it ran between 170-185 on the highway regardless of air temp except in traffic where it would climb over 200 and dead still on a hot day in traffic it'd go to 220. Just for kicks, I tried the 160° thermostat and it stayed a little cooler longer but eventually creeped up to almost 200° and of course the fans kicked in. Driving on the highway was the same as with the 180 thermostat. No difference whatsoever. I do notice that if I get off the highway and putter around stop and go for a few minutes, it goes up to the 215-220, but the minute I hit highway speeds again it goes down to 200. So I know 200 isn't a bad temp for a BBC, its just nagging me wondering if the fan being on limits the amount of road air that can run thru the condenser/radiator. The radiator has a dozen flap openings as seen below:

Name:  InsideShroud-00.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  451.1 KB

The engineers at BeCool actually sent me a metal template as a guide for the flap pins and layout. There's about 1/4" of aluminum in the middle that I left in because I was concerned about the flaps getting sucked in by the fans. I think its just another (minor) restriction. I may pull out the shroud and cut those centers out of the top section and see what happens. If they _do_ get pulled in then I will weld in a 1/8" aluminum wire across the span to prevent that.

Name:  ShroudFansFlapsPWM-00.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  429.7 KB

I calculated the amount of the opening relative to the overall 23" by 16" basic radiator core which is about 368 square inches. But two 12" openings equal about 226 square inches, then there's 24 additional openings which make for 37.5" square inches. So the total opening area right now is approximately 263.5 square inches. Eliminating the dividers would only give me just under 4 square inches which sounds useless, but in terms of air turbulence... maybe airflow would improve?

Name:  ShroudTestFit-00.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  587.4 KB

The inside depth of the shroud is about .9500" and I have taken the time to seal off all four sides against the radiator so there's little chance of the fans pulling in engine air. I also have a full width forward core support cover and a hood pad that seals pretty close.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Hey Carl, in your literature there is mention of a 65 amp model besides the 40 amp one currently for sale. Is it still planned to make this one?

I think this thread is quite dead....

I don't have my car on the road yet. When I do, I will post here to let everyone know how my controller is working.

Quote Originally Posted by asicerik View Post
      I don't have my car on the road yet. When I do, I will post here to let everyone know how my controller is working.
      Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
      Any news?
      Sorry, not yet. Parts shortages have kept me off the road. I JUST received my glass which I ordered back in October last year. Car should be on the road in the next few weeks though I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by asicerik View Post
      Sorry, not yet. Parts shortages have kept me off the road. I JUST received my glass which I ordered back in October last year. Car should be on the road in the next few weeks though I hope.
      Any news here?

Quote Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
      Hey Carl, in your literature there is mention of a 65 amp model besides the 40 amp one currently for sale. Is it still planned to make this one?
      Hey G looks like your are 6 mile west of me. Have you purchased any of vapor worx stuff. I went all in by faith, without forum research. I picked up Carl's ReturnX Carb pwm, Fan Controller PWM and his Intelligent Relay controller.

it will be a little while before I get to see how it all works out.

I haven't. I'm planning on possibly using Brian Baskin's (DCC) new S50 Fan controller. It is simplified from the preceeding FK45.
      Sorry I'm late with this. I rarely check this thread, but looks like I should more often.......
      Are you in Visalia? I think you did well with buying vaporworx stuff, his rep his very good!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com