Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

New Variable Speed/PWM Cooling Fan Controller from PSM

Power Systems Management (PSM), a new company founded to design and develop practical and useful control strategies for electrically driven devices, introduces the all new VC1240 variable speed, pulse width modulation cooling fan controller.

https://www.powersystemsmanagement.com/products/

The stand alone VC1240 pwm fan controller has the following features:

* Stand alone - Can work with EFI or carburetted applications.
      * Compact design - At 2.1" x 2.1" x 11/16" means it can be mounted to the inside of many metal radiator fan shrouds.
      * Easy installation - Most applications will have a total of six wires: Power in, Power out, temperature sensor, and A/C override.
      * High Current Capability - 40A continuous, enough to comfortably support the largest dual brushed fan applications while allowing a smooth ramp-in/soft starting feature.
      * A/C override forces controller on to 50% power when connected to the compressor clutch or Bat+ trinary switch.
      * Safety - The controller will tolerate a short circuit to ground or a short circuit to 12v, current overload, and over temperature conditions, and will do so indefinitelywithout damage.
      * Under and Over Voltage Shutdown.
      * Short Pulse Timing - Will work with all brushed type fans including Ford Contour and Taurus applications without causing unnecessary motor wear.
      * Long Life - Designed with the electronic circuitry separated from the high power components means a MTBF that should outlast the application.
      * Hermetically sealed
      * UL-94 compliant materials throughout.
      * A real data sheet: https://psm-protouringcom1.netdna-ss...-Datasheet.pdf

In development since March 2019 using a 35A Lincoln Mark VIII fan as the benchmark, this controller can drive even the largest twin brushed fans with little trouble. For twin fan applications both fans will run together, hence lowering the at-idle fan noise even more. Here's the prototype mounted to the plastic shroud using a metal plate to provide additional heat sink capability. Pardon the many extra screws, dials, and switches as this allows removal and testing a variety of functions without having to remove the fan shroud. In other words and in full disclosure, this is what a test mule looks like when mounted in the most convenient location.

The VC1240 is available from Northern Radiator under P/N Z18350 https://www.northernradiator.com/Pro...riteria=Z18350 This kit also includes a mounting bracket to allow flexibility (not in-shroud) in the mounting location.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll be happy to help.

Last edited by CarlC; 05-14-2020 at 03:54 PM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I will be sending people your way. Everyone who has seen my DCC fan and Vaporworxs fuel pwm's working is sold. I'll point them to the site.

Cheers, Steve
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

How much is it?

Thank you for the kudos Steve.

For pricing, please note the link to Northern Radiator. They can provide either pricing or refer you to a local dealer.

I definitely want to do pwm fans in my 55 Chevy LS3. I have been looking at the DCC controllers and it appears that this PSM controller is made by DCC, since their name is on the instruction sheet. So what’s the difference? Just a different brand name or are there any new features or advantages? Thank you.

How do I make this work with Holley EFI?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Wow, nicely done! Moves directly on to my list of recommended upgrades.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

PSM is a joint venture between DCC and I. The basics are the same but we both wanted to do something different.

Advantages:
      * More compact and efficient design.
      * Heavy duty #10 power studs.
      * All new circuit boards and microelectronics to allow for mounting inside the radiator shroud.

Andrew, I sent a message on your question. After some thought, I believe we can make it work with the Holley ECM if an output voltage table can be built.

Happy to help JP!

Do you have anything that would be appropriate for an electric water pump? Can this be controlled by a Holley ECU?
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I am interested in this as well. Will this control a two speed fan?

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      ....Can this be controlled by a Holley ECU?
      Carl and I had a chat about this today. Carl will work on work on a little box that will allow the Holley ECU to control this controller.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I've been discussing this controller with Carl for a couple of months, I'm going to order it this week. Going to be using a Ford Contour dual fan setup with a custom-built shroud. Here's a sketch I just sent Carl for critique on my mounting. If you're wondering, I reduced the Contour setup to just the bare fans and cut away all the plastic shroud which was too wide for my Cold Case radiator core. My serpentine system is tight as far as clearance between core/belts goes, this works. The fab shop is in the process of plasma cutting the shroud and then doing all the bends and welding. Carl noted that this controller has been tested with the Contour fans and that... plus the size/features of the unit made it a top choice for me.

Once I get everything put together, I'll create a thread with all the details.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Sorry, we don't have a water pump optioned controller at this time.

Regarding two speed fans, that falls into two categories:

* For Ford fans that have a low/high such as the popular Taurus setup, just connect the high speed circuit to the PSM controller. Do not connect the low speed side.
      * For others such as the Valeo/Dodge fans, connect both the low and high speed circuits to the PSM controller.

We are working on an interface circuit to allow integration into a Holley or other aftermarket ECM that can produce a 12v square wave output using a temperature vs. duty cycle plot.

What is the benefit of integrating the controller into the ecm? And if it is integrated, would it be able to use the temp signal from the ecm so that you wouldn’t need the sensor that comes with the controller?

Using the Holley ECM does eliminate the need for a separate temperature sensor.

Integrating the controller into the ECM does allow the user more individual control. The standard sensor + A/C over-ride is very effective, but the Holley integration allows for custom tailoring based on the desires of the customer.

Now we need to get those Holley systems working with an AC pressure sensor, then we won't need a trinary/binary switch anymore. I assume it can be done with a custom sensor?
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Now we need to get those Holley systems working with an AC pressure sensor, then we won't need a trinary/binary switch anymore. I assume it can be done with a custom sensor?
      If there is an available input, it can be configured for a 5v AC pressure sensor. Then the fans can be activate by either AC pressure and/or coolant temp. Having a speed input is also helpful to disable fans above a certain speed.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I have used GM pressure sensors with Holley ECMs, no need for a custom sensor. Make your own value table for the sensor. The wire that comes from the Vin Air ecu and goes to the compressor now runs through the Holley ECU. Set your high and low limits and done......no need for binary switch.

Why do we need a separate box in between Carls fan controller and a Holley ECM.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      I have used GM pressure sensors with Holley ECMs, no need for a custom sensor. Make your own value table for the sensor. The wire that comes from the Vin Air ecu and goes to the compressor now runs through the Holley ECU. Set your high and low limits and done......no need for binary switch.

Why do we need a separate box in between Carls fan controller and a Holley ECM.
      Because the only variable output that the Holley can provide is a pwm duty cycle. Carl can answer in more detail.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I like it. I was thinking "custom sensor" as the Holley would see it. A GM AC pressure sensor is what I was thinking too...
      John Parsons

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com