Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: LT5 in 69RS??

Country Flag: United States

LT5 in 69RS??

I have a 69RS w/ quad link 3.55 rear, mini tubbed, weld in subframe connectors, stock front subframe w/ DSE arms. What are pros and cons of LT5 dry sump with 8L90E? Open to all advice.

A wet pump LT4 would be an easier swap, since Holley has a pan and installation kit for first gen Camaros.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks

I don't know how this is going to fit on stock subframe. The engine will be 1.5 in farther forward on stock subframe correct??? Would LT4 have same issue(s)?

You can move the engine wherever you want for the most part with adapter plates as long as the pan doesnt hit your subframe.

There are too many pros for this combo to list. The only con might be your rear gearing. I have a 10l80 with a 3:70 on a 28" tall tire and I'm finding it difficult to get traction in first gear. The 8 speed also has a steep 1st gear. The cars that came equipped with these transmissions had around a 2:77 rear gear. Most guys that tried 3:73 upgrades made their way back to the 2:77 area from what I have read on other forums and got better 1/4 mile times with the 2:77 rears. Mine still drives fine and is very quick but I plan on running a smaller 26" tire and might have an issue when I do that and need to change gears. Experiment with your current gear then change it later after you install the new setup, you might like it.

I'm currently trying to install an LT4 Dry Sump in 69 Camaro with stock subframe and Ridetech Tru Turn suspension. I'm having clearance issues with the stock pan hitting on drag link and front crank pulley hitting on Muscle Bar. Tried using Holley LT motor mounts, but now waiting on ICT motor mount adapters to see if that helps. It's going to take some work to get it to fit with stock sub-frame. All the projects I've seen using the supercharged LT motors are running a DSE sub-frame, so I'll let you know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by CornerHugger69 View Post
      I'm currently trying to install an LT4 Dry Sump in 69 Camaro with stock subframe and Ridetech Tru Turn suspension. I'm having clearance issues with the stock pan hitting on drag link and front crank pulley hitting on Muscle Bar. Tried using Holley LT motor mounts, but now waiting on ICT motor mount adapters to see if that helps. It's going to take some work to get it to fit with stock sub-frame. All the projects I've seen using the supercharged LT motors are running a DSE sub-frame, so I'll let you know how it works out.
      Absolutely keep us updated. I may not give up on this so easily.

You can try a couple of things. First you can use taller motor mount stands and mounts on the subframe, might be too high with the SC though? Then you can also notch the subframe to fit the pan or alter the pan a little. The muscle bar can also be shimmed slightly to clear the ballancer, just stick a spacer between the subframe and muscle bar mount, ridetech said this is ok to do, just dont overdue it.

Thanks jasonz28camaro! I just received some ICT 551363X adapter plates today and went back to the factory small block mount stands. This setup raised the engine higher than the Holley LT mounts. It will still be very close, but I think it's going to work. The ICT mounts have 5 positions and I want to use the the #1 position which moves the engine farthest back in the car to give more clearance between the drag link and the pan and dry sump lines coming out of the side of the pan. I may need to cut out the firewall a little at least for the high pressure fuel pump to move the engine that far back. I could only get it in position #2 tonight. This would work but it would be better to move it back at least another inch. Position #1 will move the engine back another 1.75".
      Good advice on shimming the muscle bar. Somebody had given me the same advice this weekend on a facebook group I'm in so I made some 1/4" spacers and that seems to have solved that problem especially with the new mounts raising the engine up a little. I'm glad to hear Ridetech has said it's OK. I still have some tweaking to do, but I'll post some pictures once I get it situated.

Any progress @cornhugger69?

Update

I was able to get the LT4 mounted with a fair amount of tweaking. I ended up making another position in between hole #1 and #2 on the ICT adapter plates to put the engine where I needed it. This puts the drag link in between the dry sump oil lines and drain plug on the front of the engine. This will give me the most room possible to connect the oil lines and the most clearance for the drag link. It is still closer than I would like but I think it will work. I had to raise the transmission about 2.5" to provide the max amount of clearance over the drag link and give me the driveline angles I needed. I've modified the firewall and transmission tunnel for clearance. Just about have all the fab work done and only need to finish smoothing the firewall and mount the dry sump oil reservoir next. I really wish Ridetech would make a drag link with more drop in the center to give more clearance so I could mount the engine a little lower. I added a 1/4" spacer under the muscle bar mounts to give more clearance for the crank pulley.
      Attached Images Attached Images                        

LT4 Dry Sump Plumbing

Looking for help on how to plumb the Dry Sump oil system for the LT4. I want to mount the oil reservoir in the cowl like Mark Stielow has done on several of his cars including the Gunner 69 with the LT4. The oil lines to the engine are simple enough, but I'm lost on the crankcase ventilation. I was planning to use the factory reservoir that came with my engine out of a 2018 Z-06 Corvette, however it doesn't look like it will fit in that area. I've found some information and pictures, but not enough details to know what ports I need to hook up where. Not even sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

LT4 Dry Sump Plumbing

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showpos...&postcount=135

Mark Stielow and Matt Gurjack from Sled Alley were nice enough to respond to a post on the FB group I'm in and sent me over to this lat g thread on Mark's current LT5 build.
      I didn't realize Don had already shared this link a while back. Somehow I missed it. It's a great build thread if you take the time to read through the whole thing.
      He is using a DSE setup, which is what I've found with a majority of people doing the LT swaps so a lot of things will still be different for my project.
      Mark's thread has more of the details I was looking for and lots of pictures on how they create and hook up the dry sump oil system.
      In hindsight I probably should have invested in the DSE subframe, but then my project would have needed to wait even longer.
      I was able to do the suspension and brake upgrades along the way and keep driving the car while I built up the funds for the LT swap.
      I didn't want to have my car down for multiple years as I can only find so much time to work on it.
      I'm not planning to be a competitive racer and just want to be able to have fun on the street and track, so I think in the end this will suit my needs without completely breaking the bank.