Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Temp sensor and Thermostat

Greeting all. I just finished my Griffin install. It is the cu-0009 kit with dual spal fans. I installed a 180 thermostat and the sensor is preset for 185. This combo pretty much has my fan running most/all the time during city driving...does this make sense? I am thinking most new cars do the same unless you are on the freeway. I could change tstats or sensors to change trigger points, but i though out of the box, this should good. It hasn't gotten really hot in PA yet, so I haven't stressed the radiator to see the true performance.
      JR

Preset for 185*? Most sensors have an on and off temp. In other words, it may turn on at 185* and off at 180*. If so, the switch may never turn off since the thermostat is at 180* as well.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Most oems have 195 stats and the low fan kicks on around 210 to 220, high between 220 and 230. Usually 15 degrees between thermostat and low then 10 degrees between low and high.

That's how I set up the fans on my dad's 67 c10, but the computer is triggering them not an aftermarket switch so I can't help you there.

I called Griffin and they recommended move the temp sensor to the petcock position...Seems to make sense, not sure why I didn't think of that...Thermostat opens, radiator does it job, and adds fans as necessary...case closed.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com