• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Looking for led headlight recommendations

Want a nice high end, nice light pattern for my 67 Gto
      Any recommendations and pics? Thank you

I've had good luck with the Hella housings and bulbs they come with.. Or as a brighter upgrade, RaceSport LED's. They're H4 bulbs.
      If you want to keep the stock look, that's my choice.

Like these
      https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0028508.../dp/B001G7A9YS

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

just bought Octane lighting generation 3 leds for my 69. Install was a breeze and nice white light. Haven't been out at night yet, but for $100+ , seems like money well spent.

JR

I'm happy with my Truck-lite Phase 7's.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      I've had good luck with the Hella housings and bulbs they come with.. Or as a brighter upgrade, RaceSport LED's. They're H4 bulbs.
      If you want to keep the stock look, that's my choice.

Like these
      https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0028508.../dp/B001G7A9YS

-Dale
      Dale,

What do you do for the high beams? Install a H1 bulb into the inner headlights? (70 GTO)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I went with these housings: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GUPLFMQ

...and these bulbs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282395337505

Don't let the price of the housings fool you, they are great quality.

I wanted to run the better designed 9007 type bulbs. I actually bought the Lasfit LS 100W 9007 11000LM 6K LED Hi/Low headlight bulbs but I don't see those listed on eBay right now even tho that is the link I bought them from.

I had to reverse the pins on the plugs that come with the headlights so the high/low was correct for my 69 Firebird. I couldn't be happier. I do most of my street driving at night and this setup is absolutely fantastic! It was like driving by candle before by comparison.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I shopped Oracle and Dappper. Oracle didnt fit, Dapper was too pricey. I ended up going with Octane....check them out!

X2 for Octane lighting, I have them in both my cars and for 100.00 they are really good, Several of my friends put them in their cars, 68 camaro, 70 Chevelle, 62 Corvette and its all plug and play..no cutting at all on any of these cars

Link?
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

The Camaro used to have the glass Hella H4 housings using the 100W, 100hr rated bulbs. Though supposedly the brightest bulb available at the time by Hella, they were nothing in comparison the the JW Speaker LED's. They literally turn night into day and is the single best night driving upgrade made to the car. Though expensive, I would not hesitate to go down a similar path today.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Yeah the Lasfit LEDs I have are brighter than anything on the road, even brand new 2020 cars. A much more real looking white too. The housings do a great job at cutting them off.

http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

You can add Dapper Lighting to your list of housings, they offer Projector housings using H11 halogen, HID, or LED bulbs, with clear or OEM appearance lens, and several options for Halo, Halo w/switchback turn signal, and RGB halo of all colors.
      They have bi-Xenon (hi/lo beam) on their 7" and large housings (using a shutter style cutoff beam), and as a custom order also in the 5.75" and 4x6 sizes, so you can get HID or LED with hi/low beam, to work properly as 4 high beams.
      I would chose HID over the LED anytime, due to the color limitations of LED, and the superior reach of the HID beam.
      https://www.dapperlighting.com/

I have no problem with H4 halogens, I use Bosch 4x6 on my car, and they have an excellent smooth even control, no hotspots. For bulbs I use the H4 Phillips Xtreme (55/60w w Xenon), which is probably the best of current H4 available.
      I also like the H4 for the most variety of wattages, color range, and brands available, their only drawback is lifetime.
      I have some off-road bulbs with 55/80w, 80/100w, etc, but they are overkill, as 4 hi-beams of 60w will absolutely blast an easy 1/4 mile.
      https://www.rallylights.com/media/ca...24_lux_7_2.jpg

I have tried several of the LED retro-fit bulbs in the 4x6 H4 reflector style housings, all of the ones I tried had dead zones and/or hotspots on the low-beam, although the high beam was great.

One thing to note about LED lighting, most of the products on the market use 6,000k color, which are practically useless in rain or on recently paved asphalt.
      Also, most light at 6,000k and higher, most green/blue/tan objects shift to a gray-ish tone, reducing your depth perception and contrast.
      Another point, blue light is not processed well by the eye, as it cannot control the pupils as well, allowing too much light, causing glare.
      You eyesight will fatigue faster with blue light. (5,000k, 6,000k, 8,000k, etc)

If you lookup HID bulb comparisons of 4300k, 5000K, 6000K, 8000K the actual Lumens put on the road are about 10-15% reduced for each step above 4300k, therefore you think the whiter light is brighter, but it is actually being reduced by the blue filter, and your eye cannot focus as well.
      There is a flash-effect with intense blue light as well As an exercise grab a super-bright LED flashlights, anything above 250 lumens, and run with it at night outdoors, you will not be able to focus well on the ground in front of you, and if you look left/right will notice your peripheral vision is shot.

From my experience, I would suggest some quality H4 housings with the Phillips Xtreme, or better yet: get some decent Projector housings with HID bulbs (bi-xenon) for the low beam, and run whatever you want for hi beam if your car has 4 headlights. HID bulbs also have a decent selection of color ranges to chose from.
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Link?
      Andrew, Look here: https://www.octanelighting.com/?targ...&including=all I have these in my '68 (non halo angel eyes though)

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Andrew, Look here: https://www.octanelighting.com/?targ...&including=all I have these in my '68 (non halo angel eyes though)
      Thanks for the link. How is the light pattern on these?

I have watched a bunch of videos showing various headlights and the patterns vary a great deal. Some of the are not great at all.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Its hard to beat the OEMs for cutoff line and light pattern.. Its why I haven't undone my 2008 Acura TL projector height swap from about 10 years ago for some of the newer aftermarket stuff. Only thing I did is upgrade to D2S LEDs.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Thanks for the link. How is the light pattern on these?

I have watched a bunch of videos showing various headlights and the patterns vary a great deal. Some of the are not great at all.

Andrew
      I like the look of mine, I'll try to get pics the next time I have it out while it's dark.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Thank you so much for everyone’s response. I checked them all out and I found the dapper lighting to look the best for the direction of my build. They are quite expensive but what isn’t in our hobby.

I have Dapper too. No cutting on mi 70 with the LED7
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by keith4909 View Post
      Want a nice high end, nice light pattern for my 67 Gto
      Any recommendations and pics? Thank you
      For the money, there is nothing better than JW Speaker headlights. The cut off is sharp and amazing like a late model lexus, the output is extremely impressive, the only issue i have is for older cars, like your GTO, they look to 'futuristic' for my liking. But depending on the build, they can fit in, and the wow factor is impressive. Below is a picture of the LOW beams only. Literally the brightest and well-designed aftermarket headlight I’ve ever used. And I have used a lot.

Name:  jw (3).jpg
Views: 482
Size:  102.4 KB
      ...life is too short, live for today, tomorrow isn't guaranteed

^^ Appearance is important to some folks....I don't want spider or bug eye looking headlights.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com