Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Power windows, my last gremlin

Been chasing down all the small issues with my build and think I am on the final one. I have a 1978 Firebird with American auto wire update harness. I have the optional power window kit from AAW with the relay 30amp breaker etc. the window motors are new and I am running a 5 pin window switch instead of the stock switch. I was having issues with motors running slow and the main power wire getting hot. To the point it killed the original switch when rolling up. I decided to add 2 relays between the each switch and each motor, with everything hooked up windows are slow and wires heat up. When relays are not grounded at all 4 ground pins the windows fly but the relays buzz like crazy. Obviously something is off just not sure what. Do I need to loose the additional ground wires in the 5 pin switch to make it mirror the stock switch?

Name:  A12ED700-0D4A-4512-8FCE-3B282EBEFC40.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  8.5 KBName:  BB22C173-34C2-44C6-BD64-6A3CD2B8640B.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  6.1 KB Name:  72F3DC3C-22C8-4C10-B3A4-DC2AF475A2BC.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  8.1 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Is this how you have the switch and window motor connected?

Yes, this is the current configuration. The power coming off of the AAW relay is pin 87 of the relays. The power to the switch is a different switched power source. Everything else is wired as seen in the diagrams.

Country Flag: United States
      Pin 87 from each of the two relays attached to the motor should be connected directly to a fused battery source. Having the switch connected to a separate switched power source is okay as long as it is also fused.

By the way I can't see your first picture, it is too small.

Sorry pics are my worst enemy on here. The AAW relay setup is a 30amp fused power source that is what that shows. My understanding is that the relay prevents backfeed.

Figured it out. The extra grounds were causing issues. The body of the motor is the ground and the additional grounds were actually causing a short scenario. Now I need to figure out how to dial them back a little these windows move. I took the additional relays out as they were loud running at the power these motors draw.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com