Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Noisy billet trunk hinge lift struts

Has anyone every had an issue with noisy lift struts on their billet trunk hinges? I bought these brand new a while back off ebay. They were brand new and but they didn't have a brand name of directions in the box. These struts/shocks are the noisiest creaking things I have ever heard. When I open or close the trunk it sounds like a B movie where Dracula is opening his coffin for the first time in a hundred years.

Any ideas? Which oil or grease should I try to quiet them down? The seals seam really tight are made out a harder material than I would have thought they need.
      1967 Firebird (current project)
      1967 Firebird (unfinished project SOLD)

I just had this issue with a 68 Camaro that I am working on for a friend, except this was the hood hinges that were noisy as hell. Same type, ebay cheapies. Changed the struts twice from the seller with no fix. Turns out it was the cheapie struts that came with the kit. Ordered two new ones from this guy and the noise went away completely. Who woulda thunk it? Of course they're black, rather than polished but it was worth it just to stop the noise. You'll need to take some measurements and see if they can tell you what force they are (40lb,60lb, etc). HTH.

Alex

https://www.ebay.com/usr/strut-your-...88.m1543.l2754

Country Flag: United States
      Thanks for the reply Alex, that's what I was afraid of.

1967 Firebird (current project)
      1967 Firebird (unfinished project SOLD)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com