Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

flush mount glass

looking for flush mount glass for 69 Camaro to get my ride on my the road.any help would be appreciated.

Country Flag: United States
      Pretty sure Fesler is the only source (Pilkington is their mfg).
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Auto city has flush mount glass without bankrupting you:

https://www.autocityclassic.com/1968...p-12337-12437/

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Auto city has flush mount glass without bankrupting you:

https://www.autocityclassic.com/1968...p-12337-12437/
      Yep but it’s oversized and needs to be trimmed.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Is that hard to do or would a glass shop be able to do it without issues?

It really depends on the shop. Some won’t do it, some will. Price will vary widely imho....

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Ah I see. That's a pretty big price difference however. $1800 vs $399. Technically you could destroy 2 windshields trying to get it done right and still be ahead of the game. The old issue of price vs. quality. Reminds me of the control arm and spindle debates lol.

Alex

If it’s only a little you might get by with a belt sander. Sounds easy....

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I’m sure you can reach out to auto city and ask them exactly what needs to be done to get the glass to fit. Once you speak to them you can make the decision. They also may be able to recommend some local shops they or customers have worked with in the past.

Why the heck don’t they just make it fit out of the box? They could just sand it when they mfg. it.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
      Why the heck don’t they just make it fit out of the box? They could just sand it when they mfg. it.
      Just a thought, but I would say because there are too many variations of the windshield and rear glass openings to make them a exact fit.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Glass can be ground down with a good abrasive type with belt sander or sanding discs. Glass getting too hot is the first way to damage it. too hot, especially near the edge will crack it. Best to have water mist when sanding. Can even check with infared temp gauge. Best not to be over 140 to 150 degrees with annealed glass. Aluminum oxide paper will wear out the quickest & overheat the fastest. Silicon carbide is much better. Diamond abrasives are the best.

Separate subject, but just to mention have used a glass scratch removal system past year at work that actually works pretty decent on minor scratches on most glass & have gotten out heavy scratches on softer windshields. Way better than that near useless cerum oxide powder, but not exactly a cheap tool.
      https://glasweld.com/product-categor...-removal-kits/

Well for one, because the precision in assembling 60s-70s era cars left something to be desired they need to make it with room to adjust for each individual car.
      Tracey

I have purchased glass from Autocity and sanded it down using a belt sander with the appropriate paper (google for sanding belts for glass). Be sure to keep a flow of water on the glass to keep it cool as you sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry M View Post
      I have purchased glass from Autocity and sanded it down using a belt sander with the appropriate paper (google for sanding belts for glass). Be sure to keep a flow of water on the glass to keep it cool as you sand.
      How much material did you have to remove?

Thanks,
      Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

This is all great info! I didn't even realize AutoCity made that. I'd rather screw up & learn something from a $400 glass x 2 than go the other way :P

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      How much material did you have to remove?

Thanks,
      Don
      I ordered front and rear glass for my 67 Camaro. When they arrived, the windshield was broken. They shipped me a new one immediately. All I had to do was send them a picture of the broken one. To answer your question, about a 1/4'' from the sides. I only did the front windshield so far. It took awhile but was not hard to do. The rear glass will be easier since it is smaller and the fitment is closer.

I ordered front and rear glass for my 67 Camaro. When they arrived, the windshield was broken. They shipped me a new one immediately. All I had to do was send them a picture of the broken one. To answer your question, about a 1/4'' from the sides. I only did the front windshield so far. It took awhile but was not hard to do. The rear glass will be easier since it is smaller and the fitment is closer.
      Thanks. Good to know.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Perry,

Does Autocity ship the glass with the required adhesives? Im sure there is special adhesive that needs to be used so the rear/front window does not blow-out in high speeds since there are no moldings holding it in place anymore. Looks like a good deal, specially if the car is in bodywork stages and you can work the window openings...
      67 Camaro

No, I didn't receive any adhesives from them. I'm pretty sure they could provide some if requested. I already have some from a prior attempt at installing glass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com