Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

One out of three Door Poppers not working on 69 Camaro

Hello Awesome People!

I have a 69 Camaro that I shaved the door handles on about a decade ago.

I have (I believe) a Spal Amenity popper kit for the car. Recently the passenger side door stopped popping, though the drivers door and trunk still work great.
      When I push the button of the passenger side door it makes a mild TIK noise, but nowhere near as strong as the sound from the working door. I do not know what could have made it suddenly stop working.

Ive checked all the wiring, and nothing is loose or disconnected. All three relays run to the same power and ground, so I would think that is not the issue.
      Do you think perhaps the relay has just suddenly gone bad? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
      "What is each day but a series of conflicts between the easy way and the right way?"

69 camaro, daytona blue. LS376-495 (Hotcam LS3), TR-6060 6-speed
      Tubular control arms with coilovers

It's possible it's a relay but who knows without starting somewhere. Could you swap one for another in a different position and see if the problem follows where the relay is at from the door it doesn't work in ?.

Next you say all three relays run to the same power and ground but what about the actuator/solenoids and where are they grounded ?. If it's in the door then you need to get the actuator/solenoids ground to inside the car. With things grounded in the doors, you might have a ground through the hinges and latches but not a really good one compared to a spot like on the firewall.

If all else fails, do some tests such as voltage, voltage drops, and grounds to get an idea as to what is going on.

Its possible too that the one doors actuator/solenoid has gone south.

I don't know what your setup is but hopefully you have a mechanical way (such as override pull cables) to open the doors and trunk from the outside the car should the electrical system fail on the car.

Maybe too if you can get the door open and apart that there is a mechanical issue with things ?

Jim

I noticed after taking out the door panels today that my working popper has (directly attached to the popper solenoid itself) both a power and ground wire. The non working popper only has a power wire. But I cannot see an attachment tab for the ground wire. I also cannot see any evidence of a ground wire there before. There is not wire in the door as if a ground wire had fallen off or anything.
      Also, until a few months ago, the popper worked just fine.
      "What is each day but a series of conflicts between the easy way and the right way?"

It sounds like you need an adjustment to the cable that's attached to the solenoid. Too much slack in the cable doesn't allow the plunger to be pulled out of the solenoid body far enough for the electrical charge to activate. hope that makes sense. I don't know why there is not a ground wire from the solenoid unless it is grounded through the mounting method.

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
      I noticed after taking out the door panels today that my working popper has (directly attached to the popper solenoid itself) both a power and ground wire. The non working popper only has a power wire. But I cannot see an attachment tab for the ground wire. I also cannot see any evidence of a ground wire there before. There is not wire in the door as if a ground wire had fallen off or anything.
      Also, until a few months ago, the popper worked just fine.
      I wonder if the one without a ground wire is a self grounding style solenoid ?. Do both solenoids look the same ?. It's possible that before if it was self grounding there was a decent ground from inside the door to the body of the car through the hinges but now that connection has degraded.

Try running a ground wire from the solenoids mounting bolts to a spot inside the car and see what happens. Then check to see how much voltage you are getting to that solenoid. Maybe the wires inside the door hinge area have become frayed and broke apart to where instead of 50 strands of wire due to the flexing of opening and closing the doors, the majority or wires have broken and now only 3 are left connected and now the solenoid is not getting the power it needs to work properly. Seen this before on factory wiring going from the cowl sides or pillars into the doors. It's like bending a coat hanger back and forth. Eventually it will break apart. Same way with wiring if pushed too far.

Jim

Turns out the actuator is dead so ill need to pick up a new one.
      Always new things to have to buy.... oh well.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com