Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: Canada
      Brief Update - Over the weekend got the entire frame, engine bay coated in Eastwood rust paint/chassis paint. Installed the Upgraded steering bearing and started the engine mock up.

Few Questions - will the stock Tach work using the MSD 6010?

Will be running all new fuel lines, and making custom rad hoses to fit this week. Still waiting on suspension components from UMI but hoping to get the car running soon!
      Attached Images Attached Images          

Country Flag: United States
      What is an "upgraded steering bearing"?
      '83 El Camino
      '84 Monte Carlo SS
      '79 El Camino SS

Quote Originally Posted by Grayel View Post
      What is an "upgraded steering bearing"?

The stock one is just a plastic/rubber bushing. The one I installed is an actual bearing (helps with steering feel)

Update

Started assembling the suspension and have a few questions I'm hoping to get some help with.

1. The lower ball joint on the UMI control arm is the ball joint cover suppose to be unsecured? Nothing came in the package to secure the dust cover
      2. The UMI upper & Lower control arm ball joints are they suppose to not sit flush in the spindle? Just seems off.. The top is suppose to be taller and sit exposed but the lower?
      3. IF the ball joints are to sit higher are they to be left exposed? The instructions say to put PVC cover but nothing came in the kit.

Hoping to get the suspension/brakes on the car this weekend & more updates to come!

Thanks guys

Are you asking about just the dust cover sitting flush down on the arm itself? From what I've seen, most dust covers that come with aftermarket or taller ball joints do not fit like OEM dust covers. They mainly give just a little bit of protection to keep dirt and debris out of the ball itself. A lot of people don't run the covers at all.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Are you asking about just the dust cover sitting flush down on the arm itself? From what I've seen, most dust covers that come with aftermarket or taller ball joints do not fit like OEM dust covers. They mainly give just a little bit of protection to keep dirt and debris out of the ball itself. A lot of people don't run the covers at all.
      Oh didnt know that... doesnt the grease make a mess everywhere?

Also asking about how the ball joints sit in the spindle with gaps? thats okay?

I can't guarantee that your tach will work with your ignition but my stock monte ss tach works with my digital 6 plus.

Where did you get that upgraded steering column bearing? Mine seems to have slop in it and I would love to improve it

Quote Originally Posted by mc1984ss View Post
      I can't guarantee that your tach will work with your ignition but my stock monte ss tach works with my digital 6 plus.

Where did you get that upgraded steering column bearing? Mine seems to have slop in it and I would love to improve it

Mikes Montes

Can this bearing be installed with the steering column in place or does the column have to be removed?Will you be using the factory stye ragshaft or the Jeep Grand Cherokee solid shaft?
      '83 El Camino
      '84 Monte Carlo SS
      '79 El Camino SS

Quote Originally Posted by Grayel View Post
      Can this bearing be installed with the steering column in place or does the column have to be removed?Will you be using the factory stye ragshaft or the Jeep Grand Cherokee solid shaft?

steering shaft has to be removed. I will be using the Hooker shaft with u-joints

Update

Got the front suspension in, muscle bar and UMI brace. Also got the Brakes in up front... boy they look great! Also got the rear upper/lower control arms in and the rear end back in the car ... one thing I will stay frustrated me was I paid extra for the UMI hardware but only came with the hardware from the lower/upper control arms and not the hardware to attach to the rear end, upsetting with such a pricey kit. Also ridetech didn't sent me 2 coil spacers so I am stuck waiting on those until I can mount the rear coils for now...

I put the driveshaft in tonight... Then I will have to figure out where to mount my fuel pump/filter and run lines and put up the new tank.

Slowly but surely the cars coming along!

I put the 7.5 rear in .. it has new post unit and axels I know it won't last but I'm hoping to at least get the season out of it... until I figure out if I am going to go 8.8 or moser 12 bolt... I want a bolt in solution that will work with my new wheels and control arms.

Little update...

Made my coil re-location brackets, got the rear end buttoned up and started running the fuel lines! getting there!

Also super excited I am having a Pro-Systems carb done for the build ... my Holley worked great but heck, why not? Hopefully it will work great

My real frustration has been with the grease seal for the front Wilwood brakes. Even with the proper tool the seal continues to damage and ive had to order 3 seals now, any idea how to get the seal in without damaging it? The driver side went in with no issues.

Thanks,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com