Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: Canada

1987 Monte Carlo SS Build - Aka Project Grown

Hey guys & girls! I have been a member since 2007 but my journey with Monte Carlos began before that in 2004, my grade 9 year of high school. Me and my dad drove from Toronto Canada to Maryland USA to pick up my first love a 1986 Monte Carlo SS. The car was in bare primer, crap old 305 and full of rust. Over the next few years I spent countless days and nights with my dad rebuilding the car, I built a 327 myself and mated it to a T5. In those days having a manual Monte Carlo ss was a sight to see and I believe I was one of the first...at least in my area.

I enjoyed the car for less than 5km's as the stubborn kid I was... not listening to my dad, took the car out for a spin without the finishing throttle cable setup. Needless to say I made it two turns on my neighbourhood and put the car into a tree and took out a light post. The throttle stuck, I was scared to blow the engine I spent all my money on, turned back the key, steering locked and the rest was history. Well... it got worse the car didn't have collision insurance at the time and was a complete right off, every penny I put into the car and 3.5 years of work down the drain.

Which takes me to 2010 when I found my latest Monte Carlo SS a super clean 1987. Me and my dad took the car home in 2010, swapped the same 327 and T5 into the car which I enjoyed for a season! Well, the kid in me got in the way again... I wanted more, so I tore down the top end of the engine and sold everything to pay for better performance parts. This is when my buddies convinced me to get a GSXR600 and well, the Monte was back on the back burner again!

After a few seasons with the bike and paying school debts.. the Monte was placed into storage in 2011 where she stayed for many years to come.

Which takes us to 2019 when FINALLY I had the ability to pull the old girl out of the barn and start trying to get it on the road, but in order for that to happen my dad and I had to purchase and install a lift in the garage to be able to store my GT350 & the Monte on top!

So finally we get the car home... I bought a 2004 GMC Denali to savage the LQ4, ripped that beast out of there and parted the truck... ended up with a cool 6k from buying the truck for $750. A fellow Pro-Touring member 'Btmatt' hooked me up with heads, carb, intake, cam from his old LQ4 and we were off to the races!

Got the LS in with plans to connect the T5... to which well that was a nightmare and led me to take a break over the winter.

Which brings me to 2020..

I just got engaged to my wife to be, were getting married in 2021 and well... THE CAR MUST BE COMPLETED!!! Or I fear she will never get back on the road.

So thanks for reading and I promise a TON of great parts on the way from a bunch of Awesome suppliers that have helped me thus far.. Silver Sport transmission, Matts Classic bowties, Rocket Wheels and a special thanks to SSlance for tons of advice along the way.

Stay tuned.. but for now my original 1986...
      Attached Images Attached Images        

The 87' SS and how she slept in storage for almost 10 years!

The engine.. 6.0 LS, 243 heads with work done.. stock bottom end with cam, all new valve train etc.

Take a look at the beauty Denali the engine came out of haha..

Nothing a little sweat equity can't buy!

Last weekend got the brand new Tremec TKO600 installed along with the clutch, bell housing, flywheel and the full G-body kit from Silver Sport transmissions.. I must say AMAZING to deal with and super fast shipping!

Which brings us to this weekend... the horrific BODY MOUNTS...

Well... brutal, I had to cut 6 holes in the floor and one location body mount 4 on the drivers side that will need some reconstruction work in the future. What a nightmare job and its still not complete with Covid all the hardware stores were closed all weekend, I will have to secure hardware hopefully this week and bolt up the mounts that are currently in position.

Once everything is bolted back up, re-weld the floor, paint and continue..

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a new mount for #4

hoist that we installed.. works great, little sneak peak of the track warrior GT350.

Country Flag: United States
      Good looking car for a second go around. Sucks about the body mounts though, that adds SO much work to the process.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Good looking car for a second go around. Sucks about the body mounts though, that adds SO much work to the process.

Oh they really suck... bright side is once im done with the body mounts and cleaning up the frame/paint I can move onto the fun stuff!!

So some goodies arrived today... ridetech Coil overs, muscle bar and Wilwood brakes!

Tons of work still to do...

-Chassis paint/frame (what paint do you guys recommend?)
      -Run electrical threw fenders, wire in battery to trunk, and fuel pump
      -Run new gas line
      -Weld up floor from body mount install
      -Pick tires to run 275/35/18 (recommendations?)
      -Mufflers 3'' (recommendations?)

Quote Originally Posted by pro86tourn View Post
      Which brings us to this weekend... the horrific BODY MOUNTS...

Well... brutal, I had to cut 6 holes in the floor and one location body mount 4 on the drivers side that will need some reconstruction work in the future. What a nightmare job and its still not complete with Covid all the hardware stores were closed all weekend, I will have to secure hardware hopefully this week and bolt up the mounts that are currently in position.

Once everything is bolted back up, re-weld the floor, paint and continue..

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a new mount for #4
      Were you able to get this body mount? New or salvage yard?
      '83 El Camino
      '84 Monte Carlo SS
      '79 El Camino SS

Quote Originally Posted by Grayel View Post
      Were you able to get this body mount? New or salvage yard?
      I used the energy suspension kit. For the rear seat #4 mount I just am going to weld in a plate to the good metal and call it a day!

Quote Originally Posted by pro86tourn View Post
      So some goodies arrived today... ridetech Coil overs, muscle bar and Wilwood brakes!

Tons of work still to do...

-Chassis paint/frame (what paint do you guys recommend?)
      I bought Eastwood's rust-encapsulator (also serves as a great primer), along with
      a ton of their Chassis Black in spray cans, it sprays very nice, covers and blends well, and after fully cured will take an
      absolute beating before chipping. If you follow the application time it will come out perfect.
      I sprayed a driveshaft before I got it to the shop to replace u-joints, it took a torch and sledgehammer
      about 1/2 dozen times before any of the paint chipped. Amazing stuff.

For frame prep if by hand: I suggest braided wire-wheels on an angle grinder, have
      several wheels, and a coffee can with gasoline to alternate rinsing them off.

And of course: use eye protection as sparks, wire braid will be flying.
      Same goes for some head cover, a button-up shirt, crap gets everywhere.
      I used the 3M red pads, micro-fiber towels and degreaser 2-3x before spraying.

Good luck! and post more pics of the aftermath!
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

Quote Originally Posted by mc84_zz4 View Post
      I bought Eastwood's rust-encapsulator (also serves as a great primer), along with
      a ton of their Chassis Black in spray cans, it sprays very nice, covers and blends well, and after fully cured will take an
      absolute beating before chipping. If you follow the application time it will come out perfect.
      I sprayed a driveshaft before I got it to the shop to replace u-joints, it took a torch and sledgehammer

For frame prep if by hand: I suggest braided wire-wheels on an angle grinder, have

Going to spend some time on her this weekend and see what I can come up with... Covid proving to be a pain in the butt to get supplies!

Quote Originally Posted by mc84_zz4 View Post

Pretty much the formula I used as well... Love Eastwood paints, they are pricey up front but they go so much further and cover so much better I think it evens out in the end.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Pretty much the formula I used as well... Love Eastwood paints, they are pricey up front but they go so much further and cover so much better I think it evens out in the end.
      I was hoping to paint up and prep the frame this weekend... but I just placed the order with Eastwood now..

Hopefully it comes quickly

thanks guys!!!

Update

Rims showed up.. well only two rims out of the 4. Quite annoyed as Summit online and tracking says delivered but only 2 showed up... hopefully they come, but I have had no luck getting ahold of Summit or Fedex. They look great though! fitting a 275 on the rear looks like it may be tight... but will just fit!

As for the dreaded body mounts... yikes only one spot had some bad rot and as I got into it more and more had to be cut away. Did the best I could with the little to no welding skills had. Fabricated some box brace and welded to the existing rear seat brace and welded in patch panels for the floor.. good and solid and at least the mount is in place with no issues. Ill seal it up and paint it will do just fine!

Looks like a fun project car. About any question you might have can be answered in SSLance's Monte Carlo named Barney thread elsewhere, or PM him. He runs 275x35-18 Bridgstone RE-71R's and they fit fine.
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.
      1966 Malibu owned since 1971. Drag car converting to track toy!

Updates :

Sunday - Disassembled the front end, ripped out the old gas/brake lines and began the scraping off of the old original rubberized undercoating! Awaiting my Eastwoods supplies to come in and will coat the inside and exterior of the frame and under body.

Lots of fun! Also helped my neighbor make some adjustments on his 70 Chevelle SS - LS swap.

More and more parts keep coming! New 1/2'' fuel pick up from Robmc, still waiting on the new fuel tank and fittings so show up.

Hoping to test fire the engine soon... going to be my first run at using the MSD box on a carbed LS, wish me luck!

Nothing but the body and interior will be left alone.. funny how things change once you get into it!

So weekend update.. had no steam on Saturday, got to working a little bit on the car today. Spent hours scraping off old undercoating and grime, still not done.

Got some parts in.. paint, driveshaft and brake booster, lines etc...

Trying to decide on the best route for a bolt in rear end... I am going to be running the UMI upper/lower control arms in the rear with ride tech coil overs. Would the 8.8 fox body work? or best to go quicktime/strange 9'' ?

I have no idea why the image went upside down.. if anyone knows how to correct it let me know sorry!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com