Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

LS Swap 6.0 - 100k miles on it. What should I replace?

So I'm kinda new to the LS world.

Once again my '55 Bel Air has taken a turn.

I picked up a 100k mile 6.0 LQ4 with a 4L80e.

I plan on replacing the front and rear crank seals and the valve cover seals. Along with this comes the water pump seals.

What else should I consider while it's apart?

I ordered an LS swap kit from CPP and it comes with a Holley oil pan so it will have a fresh oil pan gasket as well.

Is there anything else that's easy to change now? How do the oil pumps hold up? Intake gaskets or???

Oh, I will also do new plugs and wires.

Thanks
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Nice score. 100k is nothing on these motors. Oil pump is about the only thing worth changing. Swap over to a Melling.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I hate pulling things apart twice or more....If I had a high mileage swap sitting on a stand...I would do alot. I would pull the cover and replace the pump AND the chain and gears along with new cover gasket and front seal. I would pull the heads and replace the lifters and the trays (looking back I would do link-bar lifters). I also wish I replaced the rear main seal too. It may seem like a good chunk of money but its insurance for down the road.

If you want really avoid ever opening it up again...have the heads ported and put in a cam.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I would do all of that, plus oil pump, valve springs, and mild cam. The Summit Ghost cam is mild and pulls strong. I would also cinder using a LS2 intake with the DBW throttle body and getting the Holley Terminator X Max to control the engine and transmission.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I say this with a big smile on my face. It's good to see that we are still really good at spending other people's money here on Pro-touring.com
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      I say this with a big smile on my face. It's good to see that we are still really good at spending other people's money here on Pro-touring.com
      Absolutely. That's my favorite past time ;-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by chad-1stgen View Post
      i say this with a big smile on my face. It's good to see that we are still really good at spending other people's money here on pro-touring.com
      lol!
      Larry Callahan

I think I will stick to the seals and oil pump for now.

The reason for the change of plans is that my wife has fallen in love with the car and I gave it to her.

Now it needs to be a super reliable and nice daily driver. Away goes a BMX X1 in and in goes a '55 Bel Air.

Win win! LOL!
      Larry Callahan

I would compression test it. As said above oil pump and timing chain and gears. A small cam really wakes up these engines. A small cam properly tuned will still drive like a stocker. Plenty of vacuum for power brakes. Cam, springs and push rods. Also consider a good stall converter. 3000 rpm or so. A good one like a Yank or Circle.
      Oh I too like spending other peoples money.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      I would compression test it. As said above oil pump and timing chain and gears. A small cam really wakes up these engines. A small cam properly tuned will still drive like a stocker. Plenty of vacuum for power brakes. Cam, springs and push rods. Also consider a good stall converter. 3000 rpm or so. A good one like a Yank or Circle.
      Oh I too like spending other peoples money.
      That's true. Already replacing the pump, might as well put in a small cam upgrade. The SDPC Powermax is on sale. https://sdparts.com/i-24132276-sdpc-...6-0l-6-2l.html Should idle near stock with proper tuning, give a good boost in torque and power, excellent driveability, and you can use the inexpensive GM LS6/2/3/9 springs.

You guys wanting to replace the cam, porting heads, and other mods need to read where Larry said the car is going to be his "very reliable" driver. I'm thinking he needs a pretty bone stock engine for her. That motor will still run strong without the upgrades. (other than the oil pump, gaskets and other necessities). Just thinking out loud...lol

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      You guys wanting to replace the cam, porting heads, and other mods need to read where Larry said the car is going to be his "very reliable" driver. I'm thinking he needs a pretty bone stock engine for her. That motor will still run strong without the upgrades. (other than the oil pump, gaskets and other necessities). Just thinking out loud...lol
      I hear ya. ;) But that's also why I recommended SDPC's LS6 Powermax. Not aggressive, so it will be pretty reliable in a daily driver with great driveability, but give it a torque boost from ~2000rpm up in a 6.0L. Works with GM LS3 springs, and stock converter. Would be easy for a tuner to dial in a stock-ish idle. Very inexpensive too (at least as long as the sale lasts). A similar option would be the Summit SUM-8719 which is on sale for $260 at the moment.

Although 100k is nothing in terms of mileage for these engines, I'd still do the Melling high pressure/standard volume pump (factory one is a weak link, so this will ensure long term durability). If you're replacing the pump, the cam change isn't much more work (it can be done without removing the heads). And I'd only replace seals that are required as part of the tear down for doing the oil pump change, or if they're already leaking. With 100k the stock lifter trays and lifters should be fine unless there's actually something wrong with the engine, or if you were really going aggressive with the cam.

Just one more thing. Depending on how the long the engine has been sitting it might be good to have the injectors cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      Just one more thing. Depending on how the long the engine has been sitting it might be good to have the injectors cleaned.
      Oh I like that idea!

That never crossed my mind. Is it much cheaper to have them cleaned than replaced?
      Larry Callahan

I haven't priced cleaning versus new but I would think cleaning would cheaper. No one around here cleans injectors but there a couple places in MPLS area that does clean them. Be careful about rebuilt injectors as some of the rebuilders are not the best. Check over on LS1 Tech for recommendations.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com