Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: What is Your Cars Ground Clearance?

Voters
    52. You may not vote on this poll
    • 3" or less

10 19.23%
    • 3" to 4"

20 38.46%
    • 4" to 5"

15 28.85%
    • 5" or more

7 13.46%
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Whats Your Ground Clearance?

So I am curious what kind of ground clearances we are running on our cars.

Please do the poll at the least, however it would be cool to know your clearance, where is the lowest point and your thoughts on your ground clearance (good, bad, etc.)

My lowest point on my car is the exhaust headers at ~3 3/4". I might raise my ride height to bring this up as New England roads in spring are frost heave war zones!

Cheers, Steve

Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Low enough that my 2 post lift arms don’t fit underneath without using a low rise jack ...dammit

About 3-3/4" to the lowest part of the header. It's not really a problem here in Texas, only the most aggressive driveway transitions or speed bumps kiss the header. Car sits pretty low on the chassis, but my tires are quite tall, which helps, 27.1" fronts.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

I am right at 5". There is no low point under my car. Its got a nice flat belly.

Name:  20160415_184601_001.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  100.9 KB
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

My 1979 Z-28 is a little above 3" above the front crossmember .But with a Vette Brakes adjustable C-4 mono leaf suspension .I can adjust it if needed .Because it can be a pain at time getting a floor jack underneath it at times

4.5 inches, subframe is 5” and headers hang below 1/2”. The standard speed bump height is 4”.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      4.5 inches, subframe is 5” and headers hang below 1/2”. The standard speed bump height is 4”.
      That is actually a very good point about speed bumps. To me anyone who is planning on driving their car a bunch might what to consider this. I am super pleased with the quality of my headers and don't want to get the common header dents we all are familiar with on lowered cars.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

My exhaust is currently at 2-3/4" at the mufflers which is too low! I had no issues at all under normal driving conditions. On back roads with a high crown, I hit in certain areas. Pulling into a car show where there are speed bumps is a total nightmare. The only part of my build that I totally underestimated and failed miserably at that!!!
      '68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

I've got a couple clamps that are 2.5" from the ground. I've rubbed them a couple times but honestly hasn't been bad. If your car isn't super soft then 3.75" is plenty IMO.
      Pro Touring Store: Your parts source for all things Pro Touring! We have the best prices & service from suspension, to crate engine packages, to billet accessories and much more!
      www.ProTouringStore.com
      (Not affiliated with Pro-Touring.com)

My lowest point is the bottom of the damn QuickTime SFI bellhousing for my T56 Magnum. The bottom of it is rounded instead of flat. It's been self clearancing for a few thousand miles but next time I do a clutch or have the trans out, I'll be grinding it flat on the bottom.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

They are making a low profile one for LS/LT engines. https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../parts/RM-8019

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      They are making a low profile one for LS/LT engines. https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../parts/RM-8019
      Sucks they don't make that version for all engines they have their bell housing for.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      Sucks they don't make that version for all engines they have their bell housing for.
      Sure would be nice to have one for Pontiac powered cars. I'm in the same boat as you with my bell housing. I'm afraid it's going to catch on something and do some real damage. I was thinking about adding some sort of skid plate.

4.5" at the header collector. Car is totally driveable from a ride height standpoint but still take my time going over the big speed bumps.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Back in the day Frank from Prodigy stated 5” guarantees no rubbing. I shoot for 4” absolute minimum.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
      Sure would be nice to have one for Pontiac powered cars. I'm in the same boat as you with my bell housing. I'm afraid it's going to catch on something and do some real damage. I was thinking about adding some sort of skid plate.
      Why not just cut the bottom flange off flush to the “bell”? Unless you need it to be sfi cert...
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

The lowest part of my car is the bottom of the front K member at 3.5”. My exhaust, oil pan, transmission pan are all above this low point.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank.

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      Why not just cut the bottom flange off flush to the “bell”? Unless you need it to be sfi cert...
      I hadn't considered that option. To make it worthwhile, I would have to eliminate the 4 bolts on the bottom. Wonder how that would impact the integrity of the unit?

That's what I've planned on doing since it's been self-clearancing there anyway. I don't see how not having those bottom bolts would cause a problem. From the factory, there are no bolts on the bottom.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

It’s to secure the block plate to the bell so that clutch parts can’t exit the bottom... I cut every scattershield I’ve ever installed in a lowered car (with the owners consent of course). I’ve been in a car that grabbed a manhole cover with that bottom edge... not a good feeling!
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com