Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: What is Your Cars Ground Clearance?

Voters
    52. You may not vote on this poll
    • 3" or less

10 19.23%
    • 3" to 4"

20 38.46%
    • 4" to 5"

15 28.85%
    • 5" or more

7 13.46%
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      2.5"
      My Camaro is slammed, The Quick time SFI Bell Housing is about the same as my American Power train cross member(which can be modified/fixed) No issues though, since I don't drive around places I'm not familiar with. I do run over a cone now and then.

65 Nova

Looking at around 3.5"
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Whats Your Ground Clearance?

Pop can at subframe crossmember

Name:  IMG_9718.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  115.4 KB
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Some of the clearances in the sporty/classic car world look pretty ridiculous to me. Just my two cents.

It's possible to drive a stock-height production musclecar on some mild 4x4 trails. It can work if you pick just the right trail and you drive slowly & carefully.

. . . but if you start telling me "the car is built for it" then I'm gonna laugh.

2-3" ground clearance = track car. You might drive it on the streets but it's not made for it.

U.S. speed bumps have a spec of 3-4" high. They are put in the roads intentionally. By the thousands. That means a 4" undercarriage would clear if there isn't much passengers/cargo, no low tires, the pavement & bump are up to spec, and there isn't a millimeter to spare.

I like at least 4". We have speed bumps and my driveway has a steep angle. Right now, I have just under, but it's a header issue (will be addressed with ongoing engine swap). Hate hearing the grinding, and having to carefully plan my route through the neighborhood and other areas. But it's more street driver than track car.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

3 and 3/4" at the PS header collector. Frame rails are 6 inches. With just me in the car I can get in and out of the driveway without scraping that header. Asking the wife to get out before I pull in is a great way to finish a nice spin..... NOT!

4” front to rear.

Quote Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
      Pop can at subframe crossmember
      That's pretty low considering it's without the weight of the powertrain, sheet metal, and other front end components.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I'm just under 3" on my crossmember.

I plan to pull the front wheel in more, and basically 'channel' the body to get the body lower over the chassis.

I've got approximately 25k miles on this current build.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      ...life is too short, live for today, tomorrow isn't guaranteed

My daily driver, the 07 Charger RT is about 4.5", its on coil overs, but its a pain to adjust it. I have only scraped two times, and I know the car pretty well. I do the typical "lowered car" driving techniques so it works out. Isaacs truck will sit closer to 5", but it will be easy to drop. I might drop it for some occasions and raise it for long trips.

The problem with my car is its very long. The wheelbase is several inches longer than the truck, so the angle that is created between the wheels and the lowest point is the problem. Here we have some long speed bumps,some longer than the car and they worry me more than the little ones. Plus with the truck the approach angle is steep because the nose is very short. The Charger is low in the front. If the chin spoiler clears, Im usually good.

I'm planning on 6" at the pinch welds on the rockers. I love them low but want to drive it without worry and as age has been creeping up on me, I want to be able to get out of the thing too! So far I'm on track, shorty headers and I've built the head pipes back to the x-pipe right behind the trans mount and that is right in line with the pinch welds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com