Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

How Are You Mounting Aluminum Radiators?

Hey guys I have en entropy radiator for my 69 Camaro, it didn’t come with any instructions, so I was just wondering how are you guys mounting your aluminum radiators to the core support? After seeing Stielow’s car that he’s working on on Lat G, I was thinking to use rubber grommets in the radiator then put a hollow spacer inside the grommet then mount with a bolt (hope my explanation makes sense). This way the radiator isn’t hard mounted to the core support. Aluminum expands and contracts way more and at different temperatures than steel perhaps this would be a way to prevent cracking. Just curious if my actual idea would work. Grommet followed by spacer (same thickness as grommet) then bolt inside the spacer.

thanks

Country Flag: United States
      On the drivers side the OEM mounting holes are sized so you can use a rubber well nut with a brass insert. I got mine at Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-20-...ll-Nut/3012494

It will not allow the amount of movement(float) that Marks car has. But it is a heck of alot better that just solid mounting both ends. It allows some movement due to expansion. I used three mounting points with these on the Drivers side of the radiator.

I am sure other people on here have even better suggestions too.

Cheers, Steve
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

I did exactly what Steve did. Haven't run it yet but I don't think there will be any issues.
      Matt H.

Nice! Thanks do you guys think my idea would work though, grommet, space inside (same thickness as grommet) the bolt?

I probably should have added some compliant mounts, but mine is just bolted in. The aluminum radiator I had before this one lasted 15 years without cracking and the one that is in there now is about 8500miles and I haven't had any problems.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Nice! Thanks do you guys think my idea would work though, grommet, space inside (same thickness as grommet) the bolt?
      I think as long as there is room to allow some movement while having a solid retainer to not allow the radiator to become unfixed, you are good.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

I may be wrong, but I think that from what I've read/heard... the factory copper radiators were mounted with Well-Nuts on one side, fixed bolts on the other? Probably wouldn't hurt to substitute a grommet for a washer on the opposite sides.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com