Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

How to wire a 110v home bluetooth speaker into a car??

Ok, hear me out.... I want to install a Marshall Stockwell wireless bluetooth speaker in my 1972 C20 Suburban. A company called "Cool & Vintage" restores vintage Land Rovers, and uses Marshall bluetooth speakers, in a custom center console, wired into the cars electrical system somehow. I'm looking to copy their idea for a simple and classic looking installation without installing a full audio system since my truck is all original dash, door panels, etc.

Name:  @coolnvintage+|+10.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  4e.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  172.6 KB

Name:  4f.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  148.3 KB

So what's the easiest, safest way to power a 110v AC appliance off the car's 12v DC power supply.

Thanks for the help!
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

AC to dc converter

This speaker uses an AC adapter to get 15V/1.8A power to the speaker. Instead of using this adapter I would connect the speaker to the car battery using a buck boost controller like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      AC to dc converter
      Understood....would the proper method of wiring this be to use a relay in the power supply coming from the battery to the inverter and then use a keyed 12v source to power the relay, that way the inverter, and thus the speaker would only see power when the car was running?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      This speaker uses an AC adapter to get 15V/1.8A power to the speaker. Instead of using this adapter I would connect the speaker to the car battery using a buck boost controller like this one.
      interesting....so how would you wire this?
      Thanks
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

I also vote for the booster... It has a 12v positive and ground input, and a variable DC voltage output. Just cut the wall plug off and wire the variable out (15V) to the power input of the speaker.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Run a 5 amp fused 18 gauge wire from an accessory switched source to the input side of the buck boost board. Use the same wire gauge for the ground wire and connect it from a good chassis ground to the input side of the board. For the output side of the board I would buy the same barrel plug that is used on the AC adapter or if you don't plan on ever using the AC adapter you could just cut off that barrel plug and use that wire and plug instead. Then turn on the ignition key and adjust the output of the buck boost board to 15V and then you're ready to plug into the speaker power jack.

I appreciate the info guys. So if Im understanding you correctly, the speaker actually needs to see 15V/1.8A power to operate. In the "at home" application, the AC adapter that is integral to the power cord is converting the 110V AC coming out of the wall to 15V DC for the speaker to use? But in my instance, all I need to do is use the buck boost board to convert, or boost, the car's 12v DC to 15V DC in order for the speaker to work off the car's electrical system?

Again, thanks very much for the help!
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by FLYNAVY53 View Post
      I appreciate the info guys. So if Im understanding you correctly, the speaker actually needs to see 15V/1.8A power to operate. In the "at home" application, the AC adapter that is integral to the power cord is converting the 110V AC coming out of the wall to 15V DC for the speaker to use? But in my instance, all I need to do is use the buck boost board to convert, or boost, the car's 12v DC to 15V DC in order for the speaker to work off the car's electrical system?

Again, thanks very much for the help!
      Yep! Most ac convertors actually list input/output voltage
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

ok perfect, thanks Chris!
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe