Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Exhaust for ridetech 4-link

Is there any pre bent systems that will work with the ridetech 4-link on a 1969 camaro?

Thanks

1969 frost green camaro
      LS3
      Speedtech pro touring front subframe
      ridetech rear 4-link
      moser 12 bolt eaton tru trac 3.73

Country Flag: United States
      I don't think there is anything specific. I built my own and went under the rear axle. I like it and there is tons of clearance. First pic shows over the axle bends in place. Second and third pictures show test fitting the drivers side under the axle. Hard to tell but there is a lot of room. Fourth picture shows the completed system. Last picture is just me showing off the coating I had done!

I hope this helps the idea train.

Name:  20180830_162726.jpg
Views: 3214
Size:  166.6 KBName:  20180901_163735.jpg
Views: 1910
Size:  150.6 KBName:  20180901_163409.jpg
Views: 2512
Size:  142.5 KBName:  20180903_191103.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  165.9 KBName:  20180926_154958_1537998872039.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  262.7 KB
      Matt H.

Thanks yellow for posting your exhaust. It helps seeing how you did it. I will most likely end up doing this to my car as I have a ridetech 4-link and muscle bar and that pretty much eliminates routing pipes over the axle.

I have a few of questions:

1) What is you ground clearance at ride height to the pipe at the axle? Where is your lowest point in the exhaust system?
      2) When you jack up the car, what is the clearance to the exhaust pipe when the rear suspension is fully extended?

Cheers, Steve
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

The car is in a friends garage until I get my daughters Nova done but I can tell you what I remember. I should have the Nova done by May 1st. My fingers are crossed.

To answer question one: the lowest part of the exhaust is a tie between the bottom of the muffler and the 90* bend going up after the axle. You can see in the picture of the uncoated exhaust that it lays very flat all the way back.

Question two: I took the springs off the coil overs and moved the suspension at all angles between full droop and full compression. There was just under a full inch of clearance between the axle tube and the exhaust at full droop.

With the mid-length headers and a stock subframe the front half of the exhaust was even with the bottom of the subframe using Speedtech engine plates and frame stands. I now have the Speedtech Pro Touring subframe and the same exhaust is about 3/4 inch lower than the subframe. I think the engine sits lower now.
      Matt H.

Not 100% sure about the 1st gen version, but I have a 2nd Firebird with a ridetech 4link. I used the Holley/Hooker Blackheart exhaust. All I had to make was the attachment to the exhaust flange, the rest bolted right up. Great kit worked with 4link and made for the LS swaps. You may want to check it out, save me a ton of time.

Country Flag: Sweden
      I will face the same issue in the near future. Any one have experience in just putting bent tips right after the mufflers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewil View Post
      I will face the same issue in the near future. Any one have experience in just putting bent tips right after the mufflers?
      Dumps are noisy, smelly, will coat the underside of the car, and kick up dust. Not a good idea imho....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Dewil View Post
      Dumps are noisy, smelly, will coat the underside of the car, and kick up dust. Not a good idea imho....
      Don

I agree with Don. I had this setup with my old SBC. It caused a fair bit of resonance in the cabin. I think that is due to the sound reflecting up off the road and bouncing around in the axle tunnel area. I did have some luck turning the tips about 45° towards the tires. This helped but really not much. I also did not have any sound deadening in my tunnel area or in the trunk area.

Unfortunately I will be doing the same thing this year. This coming winter I will work on getting it piped all the way out to the back. I did add sound deadening to the axle tunnel and trunk areas, hopefully this reduces the drumming a little.

I just want to drive and enjoy the car this year as it has been off the road for two seasons. The eventual goal is too get it all the way to the back, good ground clearance and as quiet as possible without killing power. Looking at a few things (J-tubes, resonators, obviously pipes all the way back).
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Coating?

What coating is that ???

sorry, I'm not on the forum very often anymore and didn't see your question. I will have to look at the receipt this weekend to find the name of the coating. It works very well to keep the heat down. I have a '17 Chevy SS sedan that I did the coating on the headers also. I did a gold color that really stands out. When the car was on the dyno everyone there was impressed how little heat was coming off the headers after multiple pulls. A company here in town did all the coatings for me. I think the Camaros full exhaust was $625 a few years ago. The long tube headers for my SS were about $325.
      Matt H.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com