Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Rust Encapsulator As Primer On (Mostly) Bare Sheet Metal

I am having the body work done on my C10 project, and there are a few places were some surface rust popped up where new panels were primed and then blocked back down to bare metal (see the pictures) and then didn't get primed again (for a couple years). The FAQs on Rust Encapsulator say I can use it on just about any surface, including "mixed" surfaces that have bare metal, surface rust, and some paint/primer.

My question is, has anyone had any luck under those circumstances? I'm afraid that if I try to sand out the surface rust, I'm going to end up with very thin metal and/or change the body lines. I'm also worried about adhesion to the other primer as well as the new paint to the Rust Encapsulator.

Thanks in advance!

Name:  Resized_Resized_20200414_153907.jpeg
Views: 432
Size:  801.8 KBName:  Resized_Resized_20200414_153857.jpeg
Views: 439
Size:  948.4 KB
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Country Flag: United States
      Personally I'd probably use mostly a rotary power wire brush on grinder or drill back & forth from multiple directions to get the rust off.

As far as whatever rust encapsuler is, HELL NO. One good rule of thumb for bodywork is if it comes in a rattle can ,don't even look at it.

Best to use epoxy only for raw metal. I use SPI.

I haven't come across an ideal before primer product to stop rust, but some painters actually use wd-40 on raw metal that will sit for a while & then wash with wax & grease removers.. I understand wd is mostly fish oils and does not have silicones.

My entire frame was coated with Rust Encapsulator and I've been very happy with the results. Definitely need to spray it on with a real gun rather than something like a brush (don't ask) and it coats very well. You can't use any other primer on top of that from what I recall, but I went straight to a paint over and it looks great 4 months and 100 miles later. For what you have there it shouldn't have an issue. I would probably use a small sand blasting gun to clean those small areas and use a real primer though since it is already so close to totally clean.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Under no conditions would I use that on an exterior visible surface. It’s not intended for that purpose and it’s a bad idea imho. Spot blast it and epoxy primer.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Hmmm. I talked to the manufacturer, and they claim this is one of the intended applications. But I’m pretty skeptical. On one hand, it seems like the perfect way to make sure the rust doesn’t come back and bubble the paint. On the other, if it doesn’t stick, it’s going to ruin a paint job.

You will never see a professional shop using that or any similar product in that application.

Same goes for POR15 and all the other similar products.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I talked to my body man this morning. He says he's already sanded all the rust out. He raised the question about using the rust encapsulator to make absolutely sure there is no chance of it starting again. Which I can understand. Here in Alabama the humidity is high enough that metal will flash rust almost immediately. I'm not sure if epoxy or etching primers will handle that or not, but I don't see where there is any way to be 100% sure there is no rust other than maybe dipping and e-coating the parts.

It would be very interesting to know if rust encapsulator does actually work as a primer or not. Though I'm not sure I want to be the guinea pig on that

Flash rust is harmless. It’s deep pitted rust that will bite you.

Etch primer is old school and has no role in modern restoration work. Epoxy is the way to go.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com