Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1968 Mustang Fastback Build Thread - GT350R Engine & GT500 DCT Trans

A little back story

I bought the car when I was 19 from a friend I went to school with. The car was super nice & complete. He had rebuilt the engine, and didn't get around to putting it back together. I had bought it from him as a basketcase. The car has sat until I was able to afford to build it how I wanted. It is a 1968 Fastback J-Code with Factory A/C, Red/Red, & auto. My good friend and I who has experience with these cars & racing has decided to help with the project.

I recently build a pretty unique race car all on my own, and want to build an ultimate street/road race vehicle out of my beloved mustang. The race car I built is a 1977 Rolls Royce with a Viper drivetrain that competes in the 24 Hours of LeMons. www.instagram.com/rollsroycedoesntcare

First thing was disassembling, then had it sandblasted, dipped, and ecoated. We mounted it on a Rotisserie. We painted the bottom and interior in factory colors.

Now we are trying to figure out what components to go with and what the best way to swap the drive train is.

Requirements:

Coyote engine swap (Already have 5.2L GT350R Flat Plane engine)
      TR9070 DCT transmission (Out of GT500)
      Would prefer a quick ratio manual steering with an EPAS column setup. Coyote engine does not come with a power steering pump from factory
      Centerlock unit bearing style hubs
      rear full floater axle housing
      Mini tub rear
      not cutting up/welding the body to an extreme amount (car was almost compeltely rust free) - would be a shame to cut it all up

Questions:

Would be great if I could get some recommendations on what companies to go with.

1. What company offers the best front suspension setup with shock tower delete and a coyote engine?

2. What company offers the best rear suspension setup for aggressive road racing? The options I have seen so far but don't fully love are:
      -TCP rear 4 link
      -TCP rear torque arm
      -Street or track 3 link with watts link

3. What quick ratio manual steering options are available (if any) I know TCP offers a power steering pump conversion for the coyote, but a manual/EPAS setup would be really awesome for track performance and being able to dial in assist for street driving.

Next step for the car is ordering all of the suspension & getting them installed.

Any info would be great! Thanks!

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by darkostoj View Post
      A little back story

I bought the car when I was 19 from a friend I went to school with. The car was super nice & complete. He had rebuilt the engine, and didn't get around to putting it back together. I had bought it from him as a basketcase. The car has sat until I was able to afford to build it how I wanted. It is a 1968 Fastback J-Code with Factory A/C, Red/Red, & auto. My good friend and I who has experience with these cars & racing has decided to help with the project.

I recently build a pretty unique race car all on my own, and want to build an ultimate street/road race vehicle out of my beloved mustang. The race car I built is a 1977 Rolls Royce with a Viper drivetrain that competes in the 24 Hours of LeMons. www.instagram.com/rollsroycedoesntcare

First thing was disassembling, then had it sandblasted, dipped, and ecoated. We mounted it on a Rotisserie. We painted the bottom and interior in factory colors.

Now we are trying to figure out what components to go with and what the best way to swap the drive train is.

Requirements:

Coyote engine swap (Already have 5.2L GT350R Flat Plane engine)
      TR9070 DCT transmission (Out of GT500)
      Would prefer a quick ratio manual steering with an EPAS column setup. Coyote engine does not come with a power steering pump from factory
      Centerlock unit bearing style hubs
      rear full floater axle housing
      Mini tub rear
      not cutting up/welding the body to an extreme amount (car was almost compeltely rust free) - would be a shame to cut it all up

Questions:

Would be great if I could get some recommendations on what companies to go with.

1. What company offers the best front suspension setup with shock tower delete and a coyote engine?

2. What company offers the best rear suspension setup for aggressive road racing? The options I have seen so far but don't fully love are:
      -TCP rear 4 link
      -TCP rear torque arm
      -Street or track 3 link with watts link

3. What quick ratio manual steering options are available (if any) I know TCP offers a power steering pump conversion for the coyote, but a manual/EPAS setup would be really awesome for track performance and being able to dial in assist for street driving.

Next step for the car is ordering all of the suspension & getting them installed.

Any info would be great! Thanks!
      I have a 68 coupe that I am working on myself. Goodluck.
      Mike Maier Inc. Nice well built items.
      Cortex Racing and Griggs racing. Similar equipment
      Detroit Speed. All would be great for road racing.

Nice build, 67,68 are my favorite body style. Subscibed!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Great looking start, whole project sounds fantastic!

Great starting point, and i love the plans!

Word of caution and someone correct me if I’m wrong. The crate Voodoo and GT350R Voodoo motors are different. I have heard that the motor out of a newer car will tear an older car up due to the vibration. The new cars are built to handle the harmonics, the older cars can’t—so the engines are not recommended for swaps.

Detroit Speed makes most of everything else you questioned, although Roadster Shop and Schwartz do as well. All quality products.
      '69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

Cant wait to watch this build!!
      Justin Hocking
      67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback swap
      TCI front and rear
      Detroit Mini Tub

Future coyote

Quote Originally Posted by Cop Magnet View Post
      Great starting point, and i love the plans!

Word of caution and someone correct me if I’m wrong. The crate Voodoo and GT350R Voodoo motors are different. I have heard that the motor out of a newer car will tear an older car up due to the vibration. The new cars are built to handle the harmonics, the older cars can’t—so the engines are not recommended for swaps.

Detroit Speed makes most of everything else you questioned, although Roadster Shop and Schwartz do as well. All quality products.
      Yes, the engine is from a wrecked GT350R. I own a salvage yard (www.pacificmotors.com) and it was in our inventory listed for sale. After it being here for a little while it finally convinced me it had to be used. Looking at roadster shop, going to give them a call and go from there.

UPDATE:

I have been spending hours every day and talking to different companies and have made some pretty good progress.

One of the biggest things I came up with, is how many companies lack in the engineering department & don't necessarily engineer their parts to work optimally and just focus on having them fit a certain way and look nice.

Most of companies I talk to either said they couldn't give me suspension geometry (things like antisquat, roll center, etc) because they either didn't know what they were, or simply stated they don't give them to customers so they don't get bashed. I mean, that's a big red flag for me....like buying an engine and not being told how much horsepower it has....or a transmission and not knowing what the gear ratio's are...catch my drift?

I am not kidding when I said I talked to every company out there, but I did and it took a while. I don't want to talk about the negative aspects of what I didn't like about most of them so I will focus my discussion on the company I like.

Cortex Racing was the one company that blew me away, and left me really impressed. We spoke on the phone for two hours, and they took the time to answer all my questions with genuine interest. For everyone looking for a top quality product, I would look no further. I am a little different than most, where I enjoy the engineering and setup of the cars. Spending a day at the track and tweaking things like Roll Center, Anti Squat, Spring rates, etc is something I enjoy doing and wanted to make sure I had the ability to do these things.

Also, I don't know if anyone has looked at their cambered rear axle setup. It is one of the coolest things!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also made some progress on the engine/transmission.

Transmission will be a BMW DCT Getrag 7 Speed (I have 10 of these at the shop). I found a company out of Poland that makes a stand alone transmission controller that will work with a stand alone ECU. I will be using a Motec, with the stand alone transmission controller. I will develop adapter plates for the BMW transmission to bolt up to a Coyote Engine, LS Engine, and Dodge Viper V10 then offer them for sale.

Good progress so far!

I can't recommend Mustangs to Fear enough for everything you need.They are simply the BEST when it comes to everything you need for your mustang. I have bought a LOT from them and will buy a LOT more. All these other companies make parts for a lot of different makes and models, MTF concentrates solely on classic mustangs. Check them out and you won't be disappointed. they make everything you need for a coyote swap, and they have swapped a Trinity 5.8 into one too. I know they can help you with the 5.2.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, where did you source your 5.2? every one I have seen is like $20k out of a salvage gt350, and you cant buy it with a flat plane as a crate engine.

EDIT!!!! i just read your last post about owning the salvage yard so that answered my question lol. I'd LOVE to go with a 5.2 but i can barely afford a coyote haha
      Justin Hocking
      TCI front and rear
      Detroit Mini Tub

Future coyote

Quote Originally Posted by justin51986 View Post
      I can't recommend Mustangs to Fear enough for everything you need.They are simply the BEST when it comes to everything you need for your mustang. I have bought a LOT from them and will buy a LOT more. All these other companies make parts for a lot of different makes and models, MTF concentrates solely on classic mustangs. Check them out and you won't be disappointed. they make everything you need for a coyote swap, and they have swapped a Trinity 5.8 into one too. I know they can help you with the 5.2.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, where did you source your 5.2? every one I have seen is like $20k out of a salvage gt350, and you cant buy it with a flat plane as a crate engine.

EDIT!!!! i just read your last post about owning the salvage yard so that answered my question lol. I'd LOVE to go with a 5.2 but i can barely afford a coyote haha
      I did come across mustangs to fear and I really like some of their products.

They have a neat tube inner fender brace that goes in the wheel well along with other misc coyote swap parts I may use.

US car tool has some really nice chassis stiffening products as well. They have a frame rail cnc cut to match the contour of the floor that gets welded on. Looks factory and doesn't hang low.

Quote Originally Posted by darkostoj View Post
      I did come across mustangs to fear and I really like some of their products.

They have a neat tube inner fender brace that goes in the wheel well along with other misc coyote swap parts I may use.

US car tool has some really nice chassis stiffening products as well. They have a frame rail cnc cut to match the contour of the floor that gets welded on. Looks factory and doesn't hang low.
      also, MTF has the customer service to back up their product. Rich, Michelle, and their team are wonderful people that will help you with anything you'll need. And they have a forum on their site with a lot of good info.
      Justin Hocking
      TCI front and rear
      Detroit Mini Tub

Future coyote

This should be a mean project.

Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com