Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Help me ID these engine frame brackets - 69 Impala

These are from my 69 Impala. According to the VIN it was originally a big block car but came to me with a small block in it. I just recently figured out I had the wrong motor mounts but I still can't determine exactly what the brackets I have are intended for. I started cleaning them up for painting hoping to find a GM part number but no luck. These measure 2-3/8" wide. Anyone recognize the application for these?
      Name:  mount1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  21.9 KBName:  mount2.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  20.2 KBName:  mount6.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  22.7 KBName:  mount1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  21.9 KBName:  mount3.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  20.5 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't know B bodies very well but 1st gen Camaros and 3rd gen Novas had specific small block and big block frame stands. Big block stands were a different height from side to side to move the engine towards the passenger side for steering clearance. It's a noticeable difference.

I found this in a google search,
      "If you want to find big block frame brackets, they are shorter and narrower than small block ones. They are 2 1/2" tall from the frame to the heighest point and 2 3/8" wide where the long bolt goes through it. Only place I know to find them is on a frame that had a big block in it. They should be the same up through 70."

That was a post from 2002 so maybe someone is making them now?
      Matt H.

I misread your post. It seems you don't need big block mounts. Looks like you already have them. DON'T LOSE THOSE!!!
      Matt H.

Thanks for taking a look. I've spent several hours trying to find something definitive with no luck.

The original parts catalogs seem to list two different part numbers between big and small blocks but nothing anywhere about Impala specific dimensional differences. The reinforcement plates seem to indicate I have the correct brackets.

- - - Updated - - -

No one is making these...

Quote Originally Posted by 2yellow69 View Post
      I don't know B bodies very well but 1st gen Camaros and 3rd gen Novas had specific small block and big block frame stands. Big block stands were a different height from side to side to move the engine towards the passenger side for steering clearance. It's a noticeable difference.

I found this in a google search,
      "If you want to find big block frame brackets, they are shorter and narrower than small block ones. They are 2 1/2" tall from the frame to the heighest point and 2 3/8" wide where the long bolt goes through it. Only place I know to find them is on a frame that had a big block in it. They should be the same up through 70."

That was a post from 2002 so maybe someone is making them now?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com