Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Issue with Hooker Crossmember and t56 magnum 72 Nova

Car is a 72 nova, with I believe the original subframe. I'm trying to mock up my engine (LQ9, Quicktime bellhousing, t56 magnum) with holley/hooker swap parts(302-3 oil pan, engine mounts, blackheart crossmember) and have a small issue. I'm wondering if it's common. The transmission is too far to the rear of the vehicle by around 1/2 inch. So the transmission is coming in contact with the actual crossmember. And the holes to fasten the transmission to the crossmember are unable to line up. I bought all my parts within the last 2 years new. I searched and it looks like the quicktime bellhousing is 5.5" tall which is the same height that showed up googling a stock t56 bell. I think I either have to drill the crossembers holes out to slide it back further, or I need to make new holes in the Nova's subframe to mount the crossmember further back.

Name:  engine1.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  117.7 KB

Name:  engine4.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  132.1 KB

Name:  engine2.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  115.1 KB

Name:  engine3.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  135.0 KB

Country Flag: United States
      It is a VERY tight clearance on mine too. I have about an 1/8" on the driver side like you.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Country Flag: United States
      It looks very close. What if you loosed the engine plates and clamshells on the frame. Might be enough play to pry the engine forward a tad. If not, maybe you could enlongate or re-drill the subframe and or trans mount slots. How far off are you, measurement wise, from lining up and/or the trans contacting the hooker crossmember?

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      It is a VERY tight clearance on mine too. I have about an 1/8" on the driver side like you.
      do you ever notice any clunks or rattles? Glad to here it’s close for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06vet View Post
      It looks very close. What if you loosed the engine plates and clamshells on the frame. Might be enough play to pry the engine forward a tad. If not, maybe you could enlongate or re-drill the subframe and or trans mount slots. How far off are you, measurement wise, from lining up and/or the trans contacting the hooker crossmember?
      The clamshells aren’t tightened down. I just placed the bolts through without nuts to get it aligned. I didn’t think about loosening the plates to get clearance. I will try that. I did loosen the brackets on the engine and pushed them as far back as I could. If I could get a 1/4” it would fit well. Might be able to get by with an extra 1/8th though. I’ll try tomorrow morning.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com