Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Yes, Centerlock wheels are really cool...are the necessary?

Putting a large order together to buy parts for a 1968 Mustang Fastback I am building.

I always thought they were really cool, but I have been thinking whether or not it would be a pain in the butt to have and if the trade off is worth it.

I was always planning on building the car with a center lock wheel setup, but I have recently aquired a Porsche 911 GT3 that has center lock wheels and they are kind of annoying. You have to have special tools, and it's much more of a pain than just using a small impact and a 19mm socket.

What do you guys think? Other than the COOL factor, are center lock wheels worth it?

This is what I was looking to purchase

Country Flag: United States
      I think they look cool and have thought about them for my car too. I like the large hex nut instead of the splined one.

I think it's a cool modern touch that is subtle and would be overlooked by most observers.

The only cons in my mind are damaging the large lock nut while taking them on and off by having the socket digging in to it. The other con I'm thinking of is resale. Would these be harder to sell as opposed to your standard 5 lug pattern?

Definitely not necessary. And managing the center nut and all of the extra tools can be a hassle. Some number of Porsche owners actually do a conversion back to 5 lug.

But that being said, if you want the play with the coolness factor of the centerlock without committing to a permanent center locking hub setup, then you should consider our Flush-Loc Centerlock Conversion kit. This kit uses a centerlock adapter that simply bolts to your standard 5 lug hub.

See: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Conversion-Kit

This would allow you to enjoy the centerlock feature for awhile. And then if/when you get sick of it, you can just unbolt the adapters and go back to 5 lug. Money being no object, of course - since you'd need to have two sets of wheels.

But for that matter, assuming that you can afford two sets of wheels, you could even have one centerlock set for the street and a separate 5 lug set for the track. They would be slightly different fitments, since the adapter sits about 10mm off the hub face.

Mark Schetter
      Forgeline Motorsports, LLC
      Dayton, Ohio
      1-800-886-0093 x12
      [email protected]
      www.forgeline.com

Join Our Newsletter Mailing List

They looked good on my E-Type...

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      They looked good on my E-Type...
      Bird crap looks good on an E type , voted a few times as one of the most beautiful cars ever designed, right up there with a lambo muira
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I would rather have 5 lug nuts holding my wheels on then 1 nut. Just my two cents on it. Also if it is just about the look get a wheel that has cover lugs and a simulated center lock.
      Shaun

The question you need to ask yourself is if the additional cost is worth it to you. When it is all said and done they both do the same job effectively. One thing that might be a consideration is that NASCAR Cup series is moving to 18" center lock wheels for the 2021 racing season so there should be a good supply of surplus wheels available for those who can use them.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Theft deterrent too lol

2000 Pontiac Trans Am, Ls1/t56, SLP lid, LT's, cut-out, Borla cat-back.

1980 Pontiac Trans Am, soon to get Ls1/t56 transplant.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com