Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

2nd gen camaro shocks

Hello, hopefully this is my last thread of a bit, but I just have a quick question about shocks. A lot of topics on this I find are very old, I know shocks haven't really changed all that much but vikings are now on the market so I just want opinions from people.

Right now I'm looking at getting viking performance warrior double adjustable shocks. But I'm also looking at getting this torque arm for my car . This comes with VariShock, anyone have problems with one over the other? I know a lot of people are using vikings now. I just want all 4 corners to be the same. I'm leaning more towards Vikings because it's what the crowd uses, but Varishock would just be more out of convenience when ordering the toque arm, I've seen some people complain about them eventually leaking, especially if they sit for a long time.

Country Flag: United States
      What are you going to be using the Camaro for?

Based upon the other thread you made, you need to figure out the direction you're going (leaf spring or link). I think you're leaning towards Viking shocks. Viking obviously makes shocks for stock leaf springs and supplies to almost all link suspension manufacturers for these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Body International View Post
      Based upon the other thread you made, you need to figure out the direction you're going (leaf spring or link). I think you're leaning towards Viking shocks. Viking obviously makes shocks for stock leaf springs and supplies to almost all link suspension manufacturers for these cars.
      As stated in the first post, going with the torque arm. Both companies make shocks for all applications, just trying to figure out if one is better than the other. or if the differences are negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      What are you going to be using the Camaro for?

Autocross

Quote Originally Posted by SPG View Post
      As stated in the first post, going with the torque arm. Both companies make shocks for all applications, just trying to figure out if one is better than the other. or if the differences are negligible.

Autocross
      Sorry for the confusion. Your post said you’re “looking at getting a torque arm”.

Now that I recall your other post, you mentioned the Alston setup. They make a front coilover setup with the Varishock for your setup.
      http://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1183...uspension.aspx

With the brakes that you had mentioned, this setup will start pushing near $10k all said and done. Be prepared.

Sorry for the confusion. Your post said you’re “looking at getting a torque arm”.

Now that I recall your other post, you mentioned the Alston setup. They make a front coilover setup with the Varishock for your setup.
      http://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1183...uspension.aspx

With the brakes that you had mentioned, this setup will start pushing near $10k all said and done. Be prepared.
      Sorry I wasn't clear

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...K44/edit#gid=0

I am very aware my project will be expensive lol.
      I want to go with global west though as it will modify my subframe and allow for more travel with the coilovers.

Sorry I wasn't clear

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...K44/edit#gid=0

I am very aware my project will be expensive lol.
      I want to go with global west though as it will modify my subframe and allow for more travel with the coilovers.
      Ok,

These posts like this are getting crazy. One post is about IRS and then the next is torque arm. Last thread you mentioned you're building a street car and now this one says autocross. Anyone can list off a crazy parts list. If you have the money, go for it but this out of reach for most, even DIY, people.

Judging by your changes of position, I really think you need to keep it simple and stick with leaf rear and front coil springs. Companies like BMR, ridetech or Detroit Speed sell link and leaf spring suspension in their catalogs. Since you're on this website, I assume you're looking for a pro-touring/lowered stance. Lowering your car on the basic coil/leaf setup is the easiest and most cost effective route if you want a lowered stance. The stock style suspension can utilize and aftermarket Viking shock. There are cars that perform extremely well at autocross and equally as well on the street with the basic leaf spring setup. PTFB, UMI and DSE have made this happen.

Ok,

These posts like this are getting crazy. One post is about IRS and then the next is torque arm. Last thread you mentioned you're building a street car and now this one says autocross. Anyone can list off a crazy parts list. If you have the money, go for it but this out of reach for most, even DIY, people.

Judging by your changes of position, I really think you need to keep it simple and stick with leaf rear and front coil springs. Companies like BMR, ridetech or Detroit Speed sell link and leaf spring suspension in their catalogs. Since you're on this website, I assume you're looking for a pro-touring/lowered stance. Lowering your car on the basic coil/leaf setup is the easiest and most cost effective route if you want a lowered stance. The stock style suspension can utilize and aftermarket Viking shock. There are cars that perform extremely well at autocross and equally as well on the street with the basic leaf spring setup. PTFB, UMI and DSE have made this happen.
      The posts were all over the place because I was researching my options because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my rear end, I know for a fact I'm putting the LT4 in my car, and I know what modifications I'm making to the rest of the car, the only thing I wasn't 100% sure on was my rear which is why I made these posts.

I'm not doing IRS anymore because after talking to several people the heidts wasn't a good system for what I wanted to accomplish.

I said it's autocross because I want to build the car to be capable for that even though it will be street/autocross. I found it easier to just get right to the point on these forums because if I say one thing people will give me options that I don't really have any interest in like leaf springs, I know they work. I don't want them.

I'm sorry I'm asking questions, after doing research and getting input from people I settled on the torque arm for my car. The only thing I had left is to know if vikings or varishocks are better than one or the other. (they're probably not, I just wanted user input if people had experiences with both)

The posts were all over the place because I was researching my options because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my rear end, I know for a fact I'm putting the LT4 in my car, and I know what modifications I'm making to the rest of the car, the only thing I wasn't 100% sure on was my rear which is why I made these posts.

I'm not doing IRS anymore because after talking to several people the heidts wasn't a good system for what I wanted to accomplish.

I said it's autocross because I want to build the car to be capable for that even though it will be street/autocross. I found it easier to just get right to the point on these forums because if I say one thing people will give me options that I don't really have any interest in like leaf springs, I know they work. I don't want them.

I'm sorry I'm asking questions, after doing research and getting input from people I settled on the torque arm for my car. The only thing I had left is to know if vikings or varishocks are better than one or the other. (they're probably not, I just wanted user input if people had experiences with both)

I've owned the the Global West extended travel coilover control arms that you mentioned....along with the hybrid Viking shocks. They're nice and they keep the pivot point centered over the shock mount (if you're going for a hybrid coilover).

I've had custom one-off PTFB control arms built off a NASCAR design main frame (not what is supplied normally). Those were great. Another forum member here has that frame but he hasn't posted in a while.

I've had the basic DSE control arms. Very nice. No complaints there.

I personally wouldn't have different brand shocks front to rear.

I unfortunately don't have any input/experience with the Alston stuff for you. Funny enough, after going through various brands on my car, I'm now switching back to the factory control arms with good ball joints and bushings. I've found that there is always something missing or different for each brand. Since rediscovering the tricks you can do with stock control arms and other GM parts, I've never been more excited for my build.

I've owned the the Global West extended travel coilover control arms that you mentioned....along with the hybrid Viking shocks. They're nice and they keep the pivot point centered over the shock mount (if you're going for a hybrid coilover).

I've had custom one-off PTFB control arms built off a NASCAR design main frame (not was is supplied normally). Those were great. Another forum member here has that frame but he hasn't posted in a while.

I've had the basic DSE control arms. Very nice. No complaints there.

I personally wouldn't have different brand shocks front to rear.

I unfortunately don't have any input/experience with the Alston stuff for you. Funny enough, after going through various brands on my car, I'm now switching back to the factory control arms with good ball joints and bushings. I've found that there is always something missing or different for each brand. Since rediscovering the tricks you can do with stock control arms and other GM parts, I've never been more excited for my build.

What are the little tricks of which you speak?

Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen3 View Post
      What are the little tricks of which you speak?
      Lowers
      -AFCO steel sleeves with delrin bushings and zirk fitting.
      -QA1 ball joint which can interchange standard to 1/2” ball joint stud length.

Uppers
      -Moog offset cross shaft
      -QA1 ball joint which can interchange standard, 1/2” and 1” extended length stud.
      -AFCO solid steel shaft bushings

The above modifications make the stock control arms more adjustable, eliminates deflection (alignment changes) during side loading and the ball joints/bushings move butter smooth. On stock lower control arms, you can even run hybrid coilovers if you weld in a reinforcement plates. A bolt-on spherical joint for your sway bar bushing is also possible. I don’t plan on the coilovers for mine as I’m keeping cost down but that is a possibility. All this stuff can be done relatively cheap.

The only part I wouldn’t suggest for most people is the QA1 Ultimate Ball Joint. They’re butter smooth like they intended with the design but I feel they are more of racing ball joint. They need to be serviced and don’t come with rubber boots like a normal ball joint.

For anyone considering these types of modifications, I would suggest the AFCO kit. Global West makes a similar kit but theirs is a bit more money.
      https://www.afcoracing.com/store.asp...-77-Chevelle--

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com