Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Modified A body Chassis

Looking for photos and or post of modified and narrowed rear frame rails. Its been a long time and ready to jump back in full bore chassis needs to be completed first. I want to run a 3 link in rear with 335/20 tires.

Country Flag: Canada
      Not sure why you want to change from the 4 link to a theee link . If you go to abcperformance.net and google mini tub pics theres a few YouTube videos too.
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

thanks for info. I will check out the mini tub. I am reworking the entire rear end and narrowing the frame rails.

ABC performance aka Tony(s) kit you will be able to fit those tires easily and they sell wider wheel wells also . Tony's kit thou is based off the original 4 link design. As are most suspension companies who make parts for the 68-72 A bodies . The triangulated 4 link design is a very good set up.the frame needs some bracing and the suspension needs to be tightened up . Good luck

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Country Flag: United States
      I didn't modify my frame for narrowing, but I did modify it for the 3 link. I only protruded into the back seat by about 1.5''. If I could do it again, I would have gone more and built a backseat armrest around the top mount point. I'm better in SVA length than original, but a longer top arm would be better. As it is right now though, my rear has a lot less vertical travel than original so maybe its not a big deal.

I added an adjustable bracket to the lower frame side arms so I could set them level at ride height.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

HPI frame kit with new cross tube in place of the lower rear control arm brackets. The new rear frame rails will have the rear lower control arms mounted inside. The upper link I plan on mounting off the new cross brace.
      Any thought?

Dont buy the hpi kit ... they're a nightmare to deal with , I asked for a modified kit from them . The said yes np . We will have in x time . Well I held off my summer holidays so I could install it , nope nothing... then fall ... then xmas ... then I got nasty . Excuses from we're on holidays , there was a mix up , 3 times given fake shipping numbers , was told kit made it to toronto then the box was damaged and got sent back , .... it was only when I threatened to involved the R.C.M.P and have them charged with fraud and theft did they magically have my one off frame brace kit at my door 2 days later . It's a fantastic product but I wouldnt buy it from them directly, try going thru summit . Now onto the suspension why completely reinvent the wheel . I'm curious what you plans are for the car that would make the 3 link better than an improved 4 link ? Reason I ask is Tony from abc performance used to work for gm in engineering, probably has the fastest pro touring chevelle in the country. Mark from SC & C is a suspension guru still suggests a 4 link . Etc etc .

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Only reason is I was told better for track car. I purchased the HPI kit modified for my needs of modified frame. I am glad I didn't have the issues you had. I have AFX spindles with SPC uppers and lowers, baer 6 piston front brakes, C6 rear brakes and speedtech chicane conversion with ridetech all 4 corners. Motor currently 470 CI Buick, T56 Moser 12 bolt. Build a 6.2 with LSA blower. Retirement toy.
      I started 11 years ago and life got in the way. Back at it since last child graduates his year. I will call Tony on the mini tube and how his triangulates 4 link is setup. I did by all of my part with the exception on the chicane kit and coil-overs from Mark.

Thanks for your help.

Nice , I have heard a 3 link can be better for some forms of racing but I dont know enough about the details of why. This was why I was asking , why change what already works and works very well . Like to see how this all works out .

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I had a build Thread that was F'd Up by Photobucket. Here are some Pictures. BTW, we will be coming out with a Frame Rail Kit soon!

Do you need a panhard bar with the 3 link?
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      I had a build Thread that was F'd Up by Photobucket. Here are some Pictures. BTW, we will be coming out with a Frame Rail Kit soon!

Did this require any other modifications?

Probably new inner wheel wells otherwise kind of a useless modification lol

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by Cheveezy View Post
      Did this require any other modifications?
      This car was the Rustiest PoS I've ever seen, so everything was done. When we come out with our Frame Rail Kits for the A-Bodies & G-Bodies, we will also be introducing a Rear Upper Shock/Strut Brace

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Probably new inner wheel wells otherwise kind of a useless modification lol
      To clarify, any other SUSPENSION modifications required? Of course you'll need bigger tubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheveezy View Post
      To clarify, any other SUSPENSION modifications required? Of course you'll need bigger tubs.
      Sorry this virus thing has my smart ass scale on 11 lol cheers , let us know how things work out for yourself

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

yes I will

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
      Do you need a panhard bar with the 3 link?
      Yes do you have one available

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post

Will it completely replace the rear frame rails or modify like the photos?

Quote Originally Posted by clu269 View Post
      Will it completely replace the rear frame rails or modify like the photos?
      Modify like the pictures!

Here is a customer car we are working on currently.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com