Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Dim parking lamp on 1967 Chevy camaro RS

Hello everyone
      i have a 1967 camaro RS. I installed a thicker battery cable from the alternator to the battery I made the mistake of letting the metal lug from this cable touch the body of the alternator. When I connected the cables to the battery. Sparks started at the negative post of the battery and where the metal lug was touching the alternator. I quickly disconnect the cables at the battery and the sparks stopped. Moved the lug away from the alternator body. Reconnected the cables at the battery and everything was good. Started the car and idled fine. Checked the battery and alternator and both were working properly. Checked all the lights and everything worked fine. Did notice the right hand parking lamp/turn signal was not working. Checked the bulb and it was blown. Replaced with new bulb but very dim barely lighting up. I can see the filament glowing a dim orange. Bulb was working properly prior to installing the new battery cable. Checked the wiring from light housing and seems fine and no blown fuses at fuse terminal. Need help in fixing this problem

Country Flag: United States
      Most likely a bad ground somewhere between the negative battery terminal and where that parking lamp ground wire attaches to the body. Check not only the ground wire of the parking lamp but also all ground straps from body to frame and any bolts that look like they might be somewhat rusted that also carry current. Remember the whole body is a ground so any poor metal connection from part to part can make a resistive connection.

I think what happened is that when you created the short, large amounts of current flowed through these ground connections potentially causing any poor connection to become worse.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com