Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

ECM Amperage Rating?

I'm installing an american autowire classic update harness in my 69 camaro and am wanting to power my fuel injection kit from the engine harness ECM wire. The classic update kit has the wire, but I can't find an amperage rating for the wire (my ECM says it needs a 25amp fused battery connection). Does anyone know the amperage of the ECM wire in the AAW kit? I can always run a wire to the battery, but I bought this kit to clean up the mess of wires I had, not to recreate the mess.

If things are not powered up, do a continuity check check from the wire out of the AA harness and see what fuse it goes to. Remove the fuse and see what size it is. Also look too and see if the wire has any gauge marking on it or one could compare it to a known gauge and see what ampacity the wire can handle.

Who knows to if you find the ECM wire to be fused at 25A or maybe 30A out of the AA harness if it might also be feeding something else like a power window setup, cooling fans, or ??????. This could blow let's say a 25A fuse if your ECM draws maybe 15A and whatever else is also tied into the circuit with it possibly drawing 20A and then things do not work right.

Maybe call AA and see what they say if you bought it from them or call the place you did buy it from. You would think if it's good stuff that they would also offer good technical support.

Jim

Country Flag: United States
      I contacted AAW. They said the ECM wire is not fused, comes directly off the battery bus bar in the fuse block. They said it would accommodate the 25A requirement and to install an inline fuse for the ECM.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com