Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: M4 Seats

Where did you find a set of M4 seats?

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post

Ebay..

First seat arrives tomorrow. I will take it over to the interior shop on Wednesday and see how it fits and report back. I feel pretty confident they are going to fit...

Btw did you get the convertible seats or coupe? Convertible have the built in seatbelt.

Btw did you get the convertible seats or coupe? Convertible have the built in seatbelt.
      I got the regular seat. The overall seats are different in look convertible vs. coupe, I happen to like the coupe look better. While I would prefer to have an integrated seatbelt instead of a seatbelt hanging down, just liked the look too much

Agreed, the coupe seats look way nicer and more racey. I bought a pair off eBay as well. The guy said he is shipping them out Friday. So hopefully I’ll get them soon.

Agreed, the coupe seats look way nicer and more racey. I bought a pair off eBay as well. The guy said he is shipping them out Friday. So hopefully I’ll get them soon.
      checked fit today and the interior shop said they can make them work. Should be able to see that coming together in the next month or so.

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest using the 1 piece headliner from TMI to get a little more headroom though.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrod View Post
      I have e46 M3 seats going into a '72 Olds 442 convertible, these seats don't have the power-down issue that the later model years have. I haven't gotten the memory functions to work yet, but the seats power up and stay powered up and work fine with just 12v & ground. It appears the memory module is in the seat but it requires some kind of communication via the CANbus to save & retrieve the settings. The e46 M3 was made from 2000-2006, in 2007 the next model was introduced which was an e90/93. Starting in 2007 the seat controls require constant communication with the CANbus in order to keep working. I have seen some guys overcome this with a timer circuit that sends a 12v pulse every few seconds to keep the seats powered-up. Since the M4 was introduced after 2007 I suspect it uses the same CANbus communication and the timer circuit would work.

I have attached a pdf of the M3/e46 pinout diagram incase this may be helpful to someone.

Rodney
      @Rodney Do you have the a thread that shows how/where they used the timer circuit to keep the power up?

Quote Originally Posted by Senek67RS View Post
      @Rodney Do you have the a thread that shows how/where they used the timer circuit to keep the power up?

Looks like this is the thread, in case anyone else wants it for themselves.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t=#post1229513

Thanks for the thread bro, will be trying it out myself too once I get the seats mounted.
      67 Camaro

Country Flag: United States
      Yep, that's the one!
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
      Thanks for the thread bro, will be trying it out myself too once I get the seats mounted.
      They got one mounted in my car yesterday, here are a couple of pics. For some reason the second pic is posting sideways and it won't let me rotate it, not sure why.
      Name:  60816763970__F96ADD8D-5286-4373-97ED-E1A7EE9F19E9.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  259.1 KBName:  60816761814__33E728A5-A5F9-4758-9F58-0F7B263DD77E.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  231.6 KB

I got my M340i seats today. They are out of a 2020. The base bolt holes measured 16.5 wide and 14.25 long. My x3 (still in car, bit hard to measure) were 16 3/8 wide and 15.5 long.
      I got the back seat also and it's about 2 inches narrower than my 69 Camaros.
      They m340i seats fit nice.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by billohio View Post
      I got my M340i seats today. They are out of a 2020. The base bolt holes measured 16.5 wide and 14.25 long. My x3 (still in car, bit hard to measure) were 16 3/8 wide and 15.5 long.

They look really nice! Look forward to seeing them in there.

I just installed a pair of M4 seats (non convertible) in my 69 Camaro. They fit great. I can’t figure out how to make all seats functions work though. I connected the thick red/brown wire to positive and brown wire to negative this only moves the seat forward/backward and up/down.

Could someone please let me know how to make the seat recline, bolsters, and the button on the back of the seat work (I think it moves the seat forward and backward)?

Thanks

Rodney,

That was some great information. I recently purchased a set of 06 E46 seats for my 71 Cutlass convertible. I wanted the integrated seatbelt over the factory seatbelt. I noticed the floor isn't level when removing the factory seats. Do you have any pictures or advice on how you mounted yours?

Freddy:
      The A-body floorpan is not as flat as the F-body cars, and the frame rails intrude into the cabin at the door openings. The mounting rails of the BMW seats are flat (in the same plane) but not centered under the seat, the outside rail is much closer to the seat edge than the inner rail. The location of the BMW mounting rails combined with the A-body frame rail intrusion pushes the seats about 2" off-center relative to the steering wheel. To remedy this issue, I made some support brackets that raised the seats about 1.5" which allowed me to mount the seats further outboard. I compared the bottom cushion height between the BMW & Olds bucket seats and the BMW seats at their lowest adjustment were several inches lower than the stock seats, so (I reasoned) raising them 1.5" would not make them any higher than the factory seats.

One very important thing to remember when making this modification. In a collision/accident, the factory OEM seat mounts were only strong enough to hold the seats in place (not the occupant); because the seat belt is built into the BMW seat, the mounting points need to be strong enough to hold the seat and the occupant! The mounting locations must be reinforced to securely hold the seat & the occupant in a collision. I welded large 1/8" thick washers to the bottom of the floorpan at the front mounting locations. To distribute the load at the rear mounting points I plug welded two layers of 4"x6" 16ga sheetmetal that overlapped the factory cross brace, I then welded a 1/8" thick square washer in the center of the 4"x6" piece. I used weld-thru primer and seam sealer on the edges of the mounting plate to protect from the elements.

I've included some pics below. Don't be too critical of my welding skills: it's not easy to MIG weld upside down...lying on your back-lol.

Rodney

Name:  IMG_9386.JPG
Views: 590
Size:  147.2 KB
      Seat Supports

Name:  IMG_9387.JPG
Views: 556
Size:  100.7 KB
      Front Mounting Reinforcement. 1/8" square washer MIG welded to bottom of floorpan.

Name:  IMG_7012.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  158.7 KB
      Rear Mounting Reinforcement. Two 4x6 pieces of 16ga sheetmetal, overlapping factory cross brace.
      (front of the car is to the left)

Name:  IMG_9391.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  151.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9393.JPG
Views: 536
Size:  132.3 KB
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Quote Originally Posted by billohio View Post
      Bill... Have you progressed since you posted that picture? Curious to see the final look, and especially curious about how you adapted the rear seats. How tall and wide are the M340i front seats? A semi-local guy who does a lot of BMW seat work said they were 24" wide and I think... 39" tall? The stock 69 Camaro seats are about 21" wide at the bulge, 19" in the front, 18" at the rear. I kinda wrote the BMWs off but I guess its model specific.

Mike
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

I have some pics of what I did on a few pages starting here, I went with Planted brackets for mine. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...apping-20.html

Ultimately I sold them because I wasn't confident that any number of washers or layers of sheet metal would stand up to the force from a 200lb person and these heavy ass seats going from 60 to 0 in an impact.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      Bill... Have you progressed since you posted that picture? Curious to see the final look, and especially curious about how you adapted the rear seats. How tall and wide are the M340i front seats? A semi-local guy who does a lot of BMW seat work said they were 24" wide and I think... 39" tall? The stock 69 Camaro seats are about 21" wide at the bulge, 19" in the front, 18" at the rear. I kinda wrote the BMWs off but I guess its model specific.

Mike
      I have sorta progressed lol. There is an area on the tunnel that stuck out, like a factory indention that sticks into the side of the seats, that I cut and layed flat so it gave me more room. Where the BMW seats have bolt holes, the inner rear one was right over an indention in the seat plate, so I bought a 1/8th thick plate I am going to weld nuts for the seats on and then weld to the factory seat plate. I think it will work, I just have not gotten anymore done. We did hang the car on the rotisserie today and I have been smoothing the subframe welds.
      I may end up using the material off the BMW back seat to cover the camaro seat. I have a local upolstery guy working on another set of seats and he acted interested in helping get the back seats done.
      I had a seat in the garage and gave a quick measurement. The BMW seat frame is about 17.5 inches in the front and the rear is 18. The widest area of the bottom cushion looks about 18.5 inches. There was not much difference compared to the stock camaro seats. They are taller with the head rest compared to the 68 with no headrests. I may ask the upolstery guy if we can cut the head rests down a bit.
      I sold the 2016 x3 I had and did think they were a bit narrower than these 340i seats especially the frame rail width

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com